Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 AM

Default Midi Notes Cut Off

Hi,

I'm running Pro Tools 8 on a MacBook Pro w/ an Axiom 49 keyboard. I also use Reason 4 (which works fine!).

When I hook up a midi instrument in pro tools, i can hear the sound in my headphones. But, when I record myself, the playback is uniformly cut off as if each note were played staccato. Conversely, when I record with the exact same setup in Reason's sequencer, the playback is totally normal.

What would cause the notes to get clipped in pro tools? Here is a screenshot of the clipped off notes :

http://img.skitch.com/20090129-fs5ih...93bp3wfpn3.jpg

As you can see, the front of each note has been chopped off.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Midi Notes Cut Off

I'm having this problem as well with pro tools 8 after upgrading from 7.4 - the input filter isn't set to omit anything, but what I am playing (on my axiom 49 through any instrument I use) and hearing during recording is not what it captures apparently. The front side of the notes is clipped and the sound is staccato just like the previous poster. I've dug through the preferences and setup dialogs and am stumped. Hellllpp...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:19 PM

So I disabled machine control (thus disabling the transport control from the axiom 49) in peripherals and now notes are recording just fine.
But that is a drag, having that transport control at hand when sitting at the keyboard is great - I followed instructions specifically at http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=33769 - anyone know what's up with this?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM

This fix also worked for me. Can someone explain why machine control is killing my midi notes? I rather enjoy being able to press play/stop/record/use sliders/etc.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeddle View Post
This fix also worked for me. Can someone explain why machine control is killing my midi notes? I rather enjoy being able to press play/stop/record/use sliders/etc.
Try this http://airvirtualinstruments.blogspo...es-in-pt8.html

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Just kidding....it started doing the exact same thing again...anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah my problems returned as well.
I followed the advice in the video and that worked and then stopped working. Now I've gotten it to work by switching it off program 15 (I put it on 10). So it appears that for the time being machine control is a buzzkill, and that using predefined and channel 1 of the axiom as the default thru instrument assures I can use it for note input at least without problem. I'm sure digi will patch this so we can get back to machine control.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 AM

Working for me now by doing this:
In peripherals, instead of using the machine control tab, go into midi controllers. Select the 'm-audio keyboard' under type and used port 1 on the device for sends to and receives from. And then use program 20 on the axiom. Transport works fine and there isn't any wackiness when recording midi.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 AM

This is what worked for me, though Im using MIDI not usb

Keep your Midi Through Any First Selected Track Enabled...
Enable 'Midi Thru'

And Change the Midi Channel of your Controller. Your Input Channel should automaticcally apply notes to your selection

If your on the same Midi Ch on your Tx device then a midi loop is introduced so -
Make sure yourTx channel is different than the channel your recording to

Also check your USB controllers internal;ll thru setting and make sure its disabled (is that even possible on a non midi port USB device?)

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
Old 11-18-2016, 02:20 PM

Hi,

I had this problem and was able to fix it by quantizing the front and back of my notes. I drew the notes in by hand so I guess they didnt automatically quantize 100% upon input.

Hope this helps :)