Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Default MIDI interface control of Digidesign PRE

Hi there,
Is there a way to control the input gain function of the Digidesign Mic PRE with an external trim pot ? Also, can that control be ganged across several inputs at once? I wanted to use something simple like the Presonus Faderport, but I didn't know if the HUI protocol accessed these parameters.
Anyone done something like this?
Thank you!
Matthew Wood
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM

HUI will not, but I believe midi cc on the correct channels will. The Focusrite Rednet preamps use the same cc as the Pre. You can download the Rednet pre manual and there's a table showing the midi cc channels for each parameter on the pre. Program the appropriate cc channels to linear or rotary encoders on a midi controller and route the controller to the pre and you should have gain control.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Re: MIDI interface control of Digidesign PRE

Thank you. Just so I am clear, would I be bypassing the PRE's gain fader in Protools to just use an external rotary encoder directly with the PRE, or could I somehow merge these controls so they both work simultaneously?
Thank you so much for you time.
MW
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattheWood View Post
Thank you. Just so I am clear, would I be bypassing the PRE's gain fader in Protools to just use an external rotary encoder directly with the PRE, or could I somehow merge these controls so they both work simultaneously?
Thank you so much for you time.
MW
If your "rotary encoder" can send MIDI CC commands.

You can't "merge" anything, each separate controller is unaware what MIDI commands (absolute gain settings) the other is sending the pre.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

So something like the Korg nanoKONTROL2 could be assigned the MIDI CC commands for channel and input gain on the PRE, and this would be the master controller of those parameters. The Pro Tools internal PRE software peripheral interface would be bypassed with this setup? Thank you!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM

It should reflect on the screen, the changes you made on the 3rd party hardware, but....

If your asking if it will by pass the controls on the actual box it self....I believe that is a no. Not sure but I can't see midi cc defeating the actual hardware controls on the Pre.

If you are asking if it will show the software readout in ProTools? You would have to have midi going both ways for it to actually show the readings and or "be active" and allow you to change the Pre's gain via The pro tools application.

If that makes sense, thus the connections for midi in and another one for midi out
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:46 PM

The trick here will be getting the nanokontrol to speak directly to/from the pre without having to loop through Pro Tools. I'm guessing this can be routed in audiomidi setup. Otherwise it might require a controller with real midi ports.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control