Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Default This is driving me nuts (first chord isn't selected)

So if I have some quantised chords. Let's say 4. 1 bar each.
I have 4 bars I want to repeat. In clips or blocks view, if I select that 4 bars section in order to copy paste or repeat, the first chord isn't selected.
Face palm… wtf ?!
Also, in block or clip view, we can't cut / separate notes …? Really?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM

Default Re: This is driving me nuts

Are you sure you're capturing (selecting) all of your desired notes when performing your desired selection copy? It can look like that is so sometimes, but depending on where your notes have landed, you might actually have notes starting before the actual bar and/or beat point resides. It's the start point of a note that defines where the note is on the timeline, not where the sustain or body of the note resides.

If your midi note(s) start even ever so slightly in the bar preceding your selection (assuming grid mode here), you'll find that your paste will not include what might think you have actually copied. You must select both the starting points of all desired notes as well as their ending points.

If that is the case, you need to expand your copy section to include the bar (or some portion of) before your desired bar and notes or get out of grid mode while make your selection.

Alternatively, while in Slip Mode you could try nudging the offending 'missing notes' back in time a bit manually so that they start within whatever bar you are trying to copy. Then try your copy and paste to see if all is as desired.

Sorry, can't help with the block or clip mode questions as I never work in either of those views working when with MIDI.

Hope this helps some...
Old 06-03-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Re: This is driving me nuts

2 thoughts. Go into note view and make sure all the notes of the first chord actually begin on the first beat, and not any point before. One way to fix that is just quantize. If you have 4 chords, 1 4beat measure each, then just quantize to whole note and all should be well.

You can also just use the trimmer tool to trim any notes starting before the first beat.

That's most likely what's causing your issue.