Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 AM

Default Re: The most important tip for a new user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Never, ever, ever, ever submit a post with a "WTF" in the header.
If you do that, you will be shunned for eternity.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
Memory 64 GB
PreSonus Quantum 26x32 Thunderbolt
Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM

Also; and I feel that I can say this because I am not native English speaker...

TRY TO WRITE PROPER ENGLISH!

Many of us are not native english speakers so we would not know what certain expressions or acronyms mean. Write a sentence like a texas cowboy with mouth full of snuff and I for sure can't read it.

Like an ex-boss of mine used to say: "explain this again, like I was a 4-year-old, and I try to understand"...
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Many of us are not native english speakers so we would not know what certain expressions or acronyms mean. Write a sentence like a texas cowboy with mouth full of snuff and I for sure can't read it.

Like an ex-boss of mine used to say: "explain this again, like I was a 4-year-old, and I try to understand"...
I hate to think how my typical run on sentences must come across. You do well and I've never had a problem understanding you.

I personally enjoy trying to figure out what some one is struggling to say when its obvious that English is not their native tongue.

But yeah simple English goes long way. Trying to keep things concise helps. Trying to answer a new poster with a simpler answer that's not littered with tech buzzwords and abbreviations helps too.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-23-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I find most non-English as a first language speakers do well with posting here. What drives me nuts are the native English speaking people that post in text or street speak. Really shows the lack of maturity of the poster.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Sup doood! I5 th1s a tr1ck qu3st10n oR $umf1n? da sk8er Iz bAkK!!

+1 billion to the advice of JFreak. There was one member a few years back who wrote all his posts in his own "sk8er" speak. Though he had a few good contributions, it drove the forum nuts. We finally sent him to english school and he successfully came back posting in proper english.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
As mentioned above, the manual in pdf format is a quick way to get answers. Ctrl+Shift+f is your best friend in most PDF readers. It will do a global search of the term in the manual and display a list one can quickly scroll through to find answers. The only downside is not knowing the nomenclature or exact term to search for, which can be quickly discovered by asking on the forum.

Shane
The only downside is not knowing the nomenclature or exact term to search for ...

Picking up on this, my day job is computer programming, and one thing that vastly improves my workflow is knowing how to speak Microsoft.

I may not know Microsoft's exact terminology for a specific item, but because I've learned how Microsoft "does" documentation I can ususally get in the ballpark with my first search term, then narrow it down from there.

Handy hint...any time you're reading documentation, pay some attention to the style and wording used, and you'll find that your searches will gradually become easier and more productive.

When you're dealing with professional-grade software such as Pro Tools, you'll find that a given term will be used consistently throughout the documentation.

Consider a mythical "Hit Record Style Switch" that allows you to choose between "Hip-Hop" and "Rock". In professional documentation you won't find it referred to as the "Hit Switch" in one place and the "Hit Style Switch" in another, it will always be referred to as the "Hit Record Style Switch".

Just one small example there...but keep in mind that you often have to learn the documentation "style" just as you have to learn the style of the software itself...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Oh and please list where your from. If nothing else it helps other's try to figure out your perspective. And consider turning on your PM function. Some one may try to reach out to you. You do not have to give them your private email or even answer them if you think they are a nutcase. But hey you never know. You might make some friends

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Sup doood! I5 th1s a tr1ck qu3st10n oR $umf1n? da sk8er Iz bAkK!!

+1 billion to the advice of JFreak. There was one member a few years back who wrote all is posts in his own "sk8er" speak. Though he had a few good contributions, it drove the forum nuts. We finally sent him to english school and he successfully came back posting in proper english.

Shane
AARG L33T0 speach

Wave-T.com
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM

hello, is this a change to the forum with being able to post pictures? Did I miss something? I was surprised by Emcha's post. Maybe it's only the new moderator dudes that get to do it?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
hello, is this a change to the forum with being able to post pictures? Did I miss something? I was surprised by Emcha's post. Maybe it's only the new moderator dudes that get to do it?
No you can post pics, but I would suggest you read the tos about it.

Wave-T.com