Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 07:20 AM

Default My big problem, please HELP

while hearing a single track[(audio or midi) anytime when i loop a section for example] in pro tools, everytime i try to play along with it or change(automate) the sound that playing (with anyone of my midi consoles) the software "stuck" and not responding , the midi console that sent the midi track stuck too and the firewire gets a signal that wont stop until shutdown....
at first i thought it was one of my consoles but after shuting them down one after another, my problem still remains...
please help me!

I have Pc pentium 4 Intel motherboard , cpu 3 Ghz , Ram 0.99 running Pro tools m-powered 7.1 with M-audio firewire 1814
consoles:
Access virus Ti , Clavia nord rack 2 , Alesis micron(control keyboard) , Roland mc909

connected by M-audio midisport 4X4 (usb)

I dont know what else to do, the only way it didnt crash, is when i shut the Midi thru optionon the software down, but then i cant control any of my synths....

Thank you very much

Lee
Old 09-06-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Re: My big problem, please HELP

Do you have any "dangling notes" that sit across your region boundaries (or more specifically, your loop boundaries)?

This is a notorious problem with ProTools, and yes, the "midi thru" should absolutely be turned off anytime you're doing recording. Strictly speaking, the "midi thru" is only needed to monitor virtual instruments. (If you need to be listening to "some other midi" while you're looping, you can always print it first, and use the printed track during recording, then throw it away when you're done).

The other thing though, is that your loop boundaries might be sitting right in the middle of a midi note. One thing you might try, is extending your loop range a little beyond what you actually want to record, on each side (ie a little in front, and a little in back). If there are any dangling midi notes there, you'll see them.