Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 PM

Default Magma expansion chassis question

Hi. I have an 8-core 2.8GHz. MacPro with HD3 Accel. I'm wanting to get about 2 more PCIe slots and was looking at the Magma ExpressBox 4 setup. Does anyone know if this works with PT? I'm assuming I would put all of the HD Accel cards in the chassis and could use the computer's PCIe slots for the host card and a UAD card or two. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Magma expansion chassis question

works great here...
we've got a quad core mac pro
with 4 pt cards in our 4 slot magma,
running tiger with pt7 on one partition
and leo and pt8 on another;
muy bien.
and the magma folks are top shelf.

b.o.l.
e
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into pricing for one now.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
wanting to get about 2 more PCIe slots
Don't!!!! Your machine is capable of running all sorts of plugs in RTAS very efficiently without the need of more hardware. I could even go as far as telling you that your computer has more than twice the power your HD3 has.

I have a HD6 on an expansion|HD on a QUAD G5 and this obsolete machine can instantiate OXFORD EQ.s and DYNAMICS on all tracks of ANY session size, apart from my computer and chasis being abandoned by DIGI, this seems not the time to make a compulsive buy, review the facts, gather intel, its a transition moment, DIGI is giving away systems with more than a 50% discount, to me they are trying to get rid of stock, there is something cooking, I can smell it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM

I'm looking into adding a Magma PE64R to my HD3 (PCI-X non Accel) rig. My Dual G5 2.5Ghz just turned 5 years old and in my mind, it's time to upgrade the computer...things are getting pretty sluggish. Obviously, I'll be waiting to see what Digi unveils at NAMM this week.

I'm planning on holding onto my HD cards if at all possible so it seems the PE6R4 will be the move. Anyone have any experience with the PE6R4 with 3rd party converters? I have a mixed bag of AD/DA converters: Digi 192i/o, Lynx Aurora 16 (w/ LT-HD) , and Apogee Rosetta 800 (w X-HD Card)...all clocked to Big Ben. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Apogee converters don't play nice with the whole expansion chassis game...or there was some added latency?

Anyone have experience with Apogee Converters, Lynx Converters and ProTools HD v8 with a recent MacPro and a Magma PE6R4 ??

Thanks.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 3.46Ghz (5,1)
OSX v10.14
48GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 on HDX
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iker View Post
Don't!!!! Your machine is capable of running all sorts of plugs in RTAS very efficiently without the need of more hardware. I could even go as far as telling you that your computer has more than twice the power your HD3 has.

I have a HD6 on an expansion|HD on a QUAD G5 and this obsolete machine can instantiate OXFORD EQ.s and DYNAMICS on all tracks of ANY session size, apart from my computer and chasis being abandoned by DIGI, this seems not the time to make a compulsive buy, review the facts, gather intel, its a transition moment, DIGI is giving away systems with more than a 50% discount, to me they are trying to get rid of stock, there is something cooking, I can smell it.
Thanks for the comments. Well, I'm probably not going to do it after all. I was thinking that the ExpressBox4 sold for about $1,500, but found it is more like $2,300. That's more than I want to pay just to get a couple of UAD cards in there.