Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Plugins for Pro Tools LE vs Pro Tools HD question?

Hi. I am not fortunate enough to have Pro Tools HD (yet), but I have been using Pro Tools LE, and I love it. I have been looking at different plug ins (for instance the Waves Bundle), and I noticed that there is a price difference (the HD plugins are more expensive). I was wondering if the same plugin written to work with Pro Tools LE working at at sample rate of 96KHz (with my CPU doing all the work) will have the same outcome with the same (but more expensive) plugin for Pro Tools HD working at 96KHz (the the HD Core Card doing all the work).

I guess my question is the result of a plug in the same? And if so, why are the HD plugins more expensive?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Plugins for Pro Tools LE vs Pro Tools HD question?

True TDM plug-ins are designed to work at 48-bit fixed, whereas RTAS plug-ins run at 32-bit floating. TDM plug-ins are more accurate (bit for bit).

rockrev
Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Plugins for Pro Tools LE vs Pro Tools HD question?

With the exception of a few plug-ins I would say you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. For me the big difference is on the TL-Space Reverb for Accel, McDSP Analog Channel and the UA 1176 Compressor plugs for TDM.

You can keep your Waves LE plug-ins when you upgrade, they will install and work with an HD system, however, the only limitation there is that RTAS plugs need to be first before appying any TDM plugs, not a huge deal.

Why the TDM plugs are so much more expensive is a very good question.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Plugins for Pro Tools LE vs Pro Tools HD quest

Thanks for your help.