Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM

Default Can this be true? Native Instruments. No RTAS support?

Hi guys,

I saw this post on the TDM forum.

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=16;t=017997

They aren't supporting RATS.
Can this be true? I'm very disappointed
I'm worried about the future of PT6. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Digi, any comments?
Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Can this be true? Native Instruments. No RTAS support?

Thats NI for ya. Motu's Mach5 is looking real good about now! Capable of loading Akai, Wav, EXS24, and Gigasampler files!!! It comes out April 11th I think, OSX ready and it's RTAS!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:09 PM

I hate RATS, those pesky rodents! I wouldn't support them either. Though, since they don't have thumbs, it's probably difficult for them to get jobs.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:48 PM

Thanks GORILLA for letting us know the release date.

Well, hating RATS or not doesn't really matter...
Not supporting RATS means that we won't be able to use their soft synthesizers or samplers in PT6 since PT 6 doesn't support AU or VST.
Only PT users won't be able to use their programs. Logic and DP4 (which hasn't been out yet) supports AU. Cubase SX supports VST, of course.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:22 PM

Hmmmm. I just got an email from Jan Klemm of NI. There was an OSX update scheduled for Sept. of 2003 (still a looooooong way off), and I assumed/hoped it would include RTAS. Jan's email doesn't clarify if the OSX version will be RTAS or not. NI has been really, really, really close mouthed about RTAS development.

email from NI:

Dear Dave,

We plan to make the RTAS interface available in all our instruments in the future. The OS X version of Battery will not be free, because it will come with a major general upgrade of the software.

Best regards
Jan
Old 03-06-2003, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Well, hating RATS or not doesn't really matter...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You don't get it, do you? RATS...RTAS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 04:45 PM

Excuse me if this sounds daft, but is there any credible reason why ProTools couldn't support VST (effects and instruments) on their host based systems?

I don't know much about the actual differences between RTAS/DirectConnect and VST (other than systems either support one or the other) but given the vast number of free or cheap VST plugins out there - and they do sound damn good, some of them at least - ProTools would be greatly extended by them. Despite having been weened on Cubase for Atari, I still much rather Pro Tools than Cubase to do my work in, even for MIDI, because it's much cleaner and straight forward than Cubase's 50 billion windows, but this kinda crap just makes me want to buy hardware only - so much for the software plugin revolution.

As a sidenote, will Audio Units help level the field?

Oh, and if any budding young programming wants to be the saving grace of the music industry, write an OSX compatible RTAS wrapper for VST plugins... like that MAS wrapper application for DP... you'll be famous!
Old 03-06-2003, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fenris:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Well, hating RATS or not doesn't really matter...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You don't get it, do you? RATS...RTAS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thank you for correcting the mistake!!! I'm sorry guys.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I think I'll edit the thread title. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Has anyone else talked to them recently?
Old 03-07-2003, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fenris:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Well, hating RATS or not doesn't really matter...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You don't get it, do you? RATS...RTAS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks fenris... sorry Raki, i couldn't help myself [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmm... I'm not too familiar with NI's products-- are they plugins only or do they have standalone app versions as well? Perhaps there's a way that they'd work as a standalone through core audio or ReWire once PT6 fully supports these technologies?

Makes me feel pretty good about owning my obsolete Yamaha EX5 synth/sampler [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . My synth will always work no matter what version of any software is on my computer.

Then again, there are bonuses to the software versions as well, such as continued development of power, functionality, and technology.

I think it would be pretty short-sighted of NI to not develop for PT6.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:50 AM

anyone from NI?