Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 02:07 AM

Default Off Topic: Reason problem after using Conflict catcher ! Help needed!!!!

Here's the story.
Having trouble with Toast (in Disc at Once mode) for the first time I thought I had a new extension conflict. Having recently bought Mac Care Unit (with Conflict catcher), I thought I would give it a try. So I did the conflict test (on Toast extensions, iTunes, CD Burner and others). The report said some extensions could be trashed (all of them were disabled extensions anyway, and not of real use as far as I could tell...).
After I did trash those useless extensions...Wooops ! Big troubles!!!
The extension manager was all messed up and eveything in the Mac was going wrong. Trying to stay calm, I've checked different points and found that what was previously in the "clipboard "(I'm not sure how to call this in English: I mean the sub pop up menu in the Apple pop up menu where you can find such things as Memory, Sound...), anyway everything that was in it had been removed in the Disabled extension folder!...
After, cleaning this mess and restarting a certain number of time, everything seemed to be under control again.
That's where it got weird. When I tried to connect on this Forum after experiencing this, I wasn't logged in anymore...(I had to send my password again). That made me think of a Preference issue, but I'm not sure (I also had some troubles with Outlook Express).
Anyway, as I said, everything seems to be find by now (I've checked most of my app., specially PT, they're Ok).
What's not working anymore is Reason ! When I try to launch it I get a strange message saying : Reason could not be open because "ICAp;Internet ConfigLib" could not be found" ! (I'm sure I didn't trash anything like this->with such an enigmatic name, I wouldn't have dared...)
Where the hell is this ICAp coming from? And what does it have to do with my dear Reason?
Any thoughts / advices / infos / kicks in the head (to finally wake up from this nightmare) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: to anyone considering using Conflict Catcher, think twice and read the manual ! I know I will in the future !
Old 10-01-2001, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Off Topic: Reason problem after using Conflict catcher ! Help needed!!!!

Just a thought : even if you don't have the slightest idea what's going on, could any gentle soul do a search in Sherlock on that "IACp ......" thing. I did and, of course, nothing of that name could be found.
Thanks again (still in advance).
Old 10-01-2001, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Off Topic: Reason problem after using Conflict catcher ! Help needed!!!!

Reinstall the OS. That may be the only way to be sure that you will not run into more problems in the future. I certainly wouldn’t have ANY internet stuff enabled in the same extension set that I was using PT with.

The best way to avoid these types of problems in the future is to have a separate hard drive for your audio stuff ONLY. Sooo many conflicts are related to all that internet crap that sits in the extension folder. Drives are so cheap now it’s well worth the investment.

Last year I got a Maxter 40gig drive that I boot into when I want to do some work.
Two partitions, one partition for the “core system” install and audio apps ONLY;
the other one for audio files ONLY. This keeps your audio files separate and well protected at all times in case you ever need to do a clean reinstall or initialization of the system partition.

This is what you could do for the time being though;
Once you get your system optimized, set up and tweeked just the way you like it, burn a bootable CD with THAT system folder on it. When you run into serious problems, just boot into that CD, trash the old system folder and drag the “optimized” one over from the CD. Restart and ALL will be well again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do this myself and it has saved my ass on many occasions. If your updating and installing alot, you will want to burn new copies of your system folder periodically to keep it up to date...

One more word of advise, DON'T USE CONFLICT CATCHER or anything else that runs in the backround. Especially with how finicky PT is with extensions... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

dk
Old 10-01-2001, 06:38 AM

Conflict catcher ruined my world for a day once. Its best used to determine what might be conflicting. Then un-install it (CC) and remove or disable the offending extensions or CDEVS by hand. CC really made a mess, but I had a bk up CD of my system ready to put all back in place. USE CC WITH CAUTION. It can be a blessing or a curse. It becomes the extension manager and the em extension, not good, not Mac, third party alert. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2001, 11:50 AM

OK, guys, thanks for the replies. I do agree that conflict Catcher has to be used with great care ! In fact, in the future, I'll stick with the good old method where the conflict catcher is ...myself.
As far as keeping audio on one drive , that's exactly what I do (all, my PT sessions, related audiofiles and sound banks for Reason are on "dedicated to audio only drives"). Reason, which is an app., resides on my "main" drive (the one with the OS), so does PT and all of my apps. I think a lot of us do the same.
Reinstalling the OS?...That could be a good plan but I'm not a big fan of that kind of process (I've done it in the past and have sometimes lost newer versions of app.& extensions during this process). I know I could make copies of all my apps etc etc...but ...no. My personnal experience tells me that my actual problem doesn't require such a drastic solution. I'm more considering reinstalling Reason (but would like not to have to).
Thanks anyway to both of you guys for the quick answers.

Now, can anybody (pleaaaase) do the search on "ICAp; Internet ConfigLib". I really need to know where that comes from (Mac OS, Explorer, Outlook ?...). Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:31 PM

Thank you for trying. Do you have Reason installed? If not, could any Reason users try the search.
I've reinstalled Reason on another drive. I still get the same message...
HEEeelllllpppppp............
I'm starting to think that dKrausz had the right answer to my problem. Reinstalling OS...One more day waiting for a miracle answer and I'll do this.

Stupid me, stupid me, stupid me, stupid Toast which made me use this stupid Conflict catcher!!!!!!!!........Stupid me.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:46 PM

Yiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! (this is supposed to be a happy scream...).
It's working! I'm not stupid after all!!!
I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself (doesn't happen too often, I swear...).
I found the solution!! Man, those Macs, apps and extensions are trickier than some say (specially PC users).
The answer was as tricky as the problem was. After checking my disabled extensions (and also many other things), I found one called "Internet configuration extension" and thought "what the hell? Let's try to enable it...". Going to the extension manager I couldn't see it...(it should have been there, waiting, unchecked). So I decided to drag it directly from the disabled folder to the enabled folder and got a message saying "There's already a similar item, would you like to replace it?". Surprised to learn this, I said :no , checked the enabled folder, and here it was. The same extension but some months "older" (than the one located in the disabled extensions folder).
I dragged the "older" one to the trash, dragged the "youngest" one to the enabled extension folder, restarted and tried to open Reason and, can you believe it, it worked!!!!!!!! Man I'm so glad! (and, once again, a little proud of myself, I have to admit....).
Sorry for that useless blah blah. Just wanted to share this feeling of overcoming weird technical issue !
I'm sure anyone who has runned into some strange "impossible to resolve at first, and second, sight" trouble will understand my joy.
Thanks again to those who tried to help.
Eventhough they didn't find the right answer (which in that case was almost impossible without taking a look in my G4), their help gave me the strengh to keep on searching. Next step is thanking my mum so I think I should just shut up !
Off I go... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2001, 03:49 PM

Hey T,

Reinstall the system and reason. Some of the Libs are hidden resources, that get lost at times. How many times have any of you seen OTtransptLib not found. I have it a lot. A system reinstall cannot hurt, it simply looks at your existing system folder and replaces what is missing. Hang on man, don't panic...this is not to much of a problem.

Regards

e
Old 10-01-2001, 03:54 PM

Thanks Editor.Looks like we were posting at the same time...
BTW, I'm just back to my previous trouble which was a Toast issue. Since everybody passing by must be bored to hell by my whining and blah blah, I'll post this on another thread : Toast expert please check it out.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:00 AM

I tryed to find that on my system and Sherlock found no Items, Sorry, Best of luck
Notefarm