How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 01:59 AM

Default A bigger sound

Hi guys
I would like to know if there is any way of get a bigger sound from my Xpand2 or Minigrand ,...in fact any soft synth in pro tools.If I'm playing and mixing in the studio they are ok BUT when I'm playing live and I find the sound very thin compared to Motifs, M3's etc... they have A LOT more power.
Do you know what can I do to improve that? Would a different DA converters make any difference at all?

Many thanks

Luismi
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Default Re: A bigger sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISMI View Post
Would a different DA converters make any difference at all?
I doubt that. Especially in a live situation.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 AM

There are some big sounds in Xpand2, but I do argee many sound thin compared to what you hear on recordings and radio, etc.

Try layering sounds in Xpand2.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 AM

That's because the sounds you hear on radio/recordings have been through additional processing at tracking/mixing/mastering/radio play.

Also Xpand2 entire content is a couple of gig.

Compression and Eq will help.

I might do a video to show how to get big sounds from the CC.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
That's because the sounds you hear on radio/recordings have been through additional processing at tracking/mixing/mastering/radio play.

I'm not meaning radio play standard, that's another world. I would like to play for instance Minigrand piano live ( along another instruments )or some guitars from structure or Xpand, but while in the studio sounds beautiful in the live contest would be lost completely. For instance yamaha,korg, or roland sounds great live with a lot of presence.don't you think?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:40 AM

I wonder if using the AIR enhancer giving some harmonic boost might help out here?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISMI View Post
I'm not meaning radio play standard, that's another world. I would like to play for instance Minigrand piano live ( along another instruments )or some guitars from structure or Xpand, but while in the studio sounds beautiful in the live contest would be lost completely. For instance yamaha,korg, or roland sounds great live with a lot of presence.don't you think?
it's a matter of taste I know people who love Roland and hate Yamaha and vice versa, plus Korg ad infinitum. To be honest get a good sound engineer for live they will sort it out. Live sound is very different to studio, hence why you can't take a mix from the studio and use it live. Piano's are hard to get right in a live mix and you need a good engineer.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't rule out better d/a converters. That may if fact be a big part of it. You gotta figure that's part of what you're paying for when you buy a hardware synth, especially if they've been building these for years and years. I'm not sure how you can test that theory without buying one, unless you can rent or borrow one. Of course you can buy it and return it if you don't like it. However, better d/a conveters could also be a big help in the studio.

One thing you can do to test this is record your hardware synths into your Pro Tools interface both through the analog outs and, if your synth has one, directly through the digital out into the Protools spidf in (if you have one).
Then compare the recorded tracks through your normal studio monitoring.

One other point is that their is varying levels of sound quality, and even loudness levels between different software manufacturers. For example, I've done side by side listening with mini-grand vs. NI Acoustik Piano, or DB33 vs. NI B4II, etc.

If you don't have anything but Protools soft synths, maybe demo some other brands and see how they compare to the protools synths and your hardware synths.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
One thing you can do to test this is record your hardware synths into your Pro Tools interface both through the analog outs and, if your synth has one, directly through the digital out into the Protools spidf in (if you have one).
So , is there any difference beetwen the analog and spdif inputs? Should be any difference in sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you don't have anything but Protools soft synths, maybe demo some other brands and see how they compare to the protools synths and your hardware synths.
I''ve got tons of plugins and a few DAW and this is not specifically a Pro tools issue, I hapens with every DAW/soft synth. So that's why I thought the main difference beetwen hardware workstations and soft synths could be the A/D converters.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
To be honest get a good sound engineer for live they will sort it out. Live sound is very different to studio, hence why you can't take a mix from the studio and use it live.
+1
PTLE8.x Mbox, Sibelius, Record, Reason, i7 D0, UD3R rev1.6, GEIL 6GB KIT EVO ONE C9 2000Mhz, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, CavBlacks 2x 500G + 1xT, SAPPHIRE HD 2400PRO 256MB SILENT, CORSAIR 750W, Novation Remote SL37, Win7.