Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
SPAM

Default get louder sound in hd system

hello,i have hd2 system,why mastering in protools not louder than nuendo?
pt with about 120db dynamic range and nuendo with rme 9652 sound card with about 110db?
i mix my music in hiest volum with no cliping in protools then increase my master fader until no cliping in c/24 meter and insert it to maxim plugins and get the hiest posible good sound,
but it not louder than my past system,why?

mix in pt is wery warmer and cleaner and low low distrotion, but it's not louder than my past system.is this any way to get louder sound?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: get louder sound in hd system

You could try turning your amp/speakers up
Sorry ..couldn't resist....
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 AM

To learn exactly what the difference is:

- Make a 1khz sine wave file (which you can generate in Protools)
- Play this same file from both programs (one at a time) at "0" db in the simplest way (no effects, a simple mono audio track directly out to the sound card, etc.) and measure the output at the soundcard with an AC voltmeter.
- If there is a difference, you will now know just what it is.

There's no guarantee that any manufacturer uses the same output level as "0", although there are some standards (eg, +4dB and -10dB). If you are using something with a gain control (like a headphone out jack), then there is also post-computer analog amplification which you are setting.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 PM

This has to do with differences between the TDM and Native sound processing. You'll have to go deeper into getting familiar how 24-bit fixed and 32-bit floating point processing are different from each other. There is a thread where it's been discussed recently HERE, you might find it very interesting.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:19 PM
SPAM

thanks,i visit your link and also try it,yes the rtas plugins have louder sound but tdm is very cleaner than rtas.i try to open only one maxim in one mixdown trac,first with tdm and then with rtas (with same seting) and bounced to disk and then listen carfully to each other with my ns10 pro,i think the rtas one have harshnes and master with tdm maxim is very cleaner than rtas.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:30 PM
SPAM

thank you stsve ,i try it.but wich kind of ac voltmeter must be and wich number must to shw me.
also my proble didnt about line in and out of my hd 192,i only listen to bounced trac that is in my hard vith same program and same seting (volum).one mixed with pt and other with nuendo.