Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2000, 08:40 PM

Default FWB conflict? Retrospect conflict?

My computer mysteriously suffered a major crash while doing a routine, simple backup of a small Protools session.

The system: Powermac 9600/200 with Newer Maxpowr G3 500/250 processor, 320 MB RAM, OS 8.6, Adaptec 2940 SCSI accelerator, Protools v5.0.1, Retrospect v4.1, FWB Hard Disk Toolkit v.4.0. Not much else of note exists within the system that is not dedicated to Protools.

I was backing up data from an IBM 18GB wide fast drive on the external SCSI bus (from the Adaptec card) to a Hewlett-Packard DDS-2 tape drive (narrow drive) connected to the Mac's built-in SCSI port when the infamous system error bomb appeared. At least one error message cited FWB instructions as a culprit.

Retrospect was the only open application. Recent upgrades to the system include the G3 processor, the operating system (OS 8.1 to 8.6), and FWB HD Toolkit. Because everything in the system is a relatively recent upgrade, everything is suspect. It took several frustrating restarts and repairs from Norton Disk Doctor and Disk First Aid to repair the damage.

Is there a known conflict between FWB and/or Retrospect? G3 card & DDS-2? Evil spirits? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark Green
Old 11-04-2000, 10:21 AM

Default Re: FWB conflict? Retrospect conflict?

The conflect is between Adaptic and FWB. make sure you have the latest drivers from Adaptic 4.01 is the latest unless they've done a new one. Newer Tech needs match 60 nz ram. and alo0t of it. 250 is the min. I'd use.PT 5.0 supports changing to Atto drivers. This not ccompatable with FWB, In fact yoiu'll need to unistall it. Make sure you have the latest drivers for Atto also. makes sure you DDS 2 has a short cable as possable. Cheeper cables are usually the porblem of errors. If you are getting error 2 or 11 I'd think about formating you internal drive with 8.6 again or up greading to 9.04 and reinstalling PT and plug ins. Your ploblem is not new to PT it seems that 5.0 has some problem with Newer Tch and Adaptec.

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 11-06-2000, 01:07 PM

Thank you, Kurtstudio, for the suggestions. I will explore those areas for solutions. Perhaps you could explain further?
1) nz ram
2) I have read that FWB drivers should not be used with the Atto card, but are you saying that FWB should not be used for PT v5 even with the Adaptec card?
Thanks again.
MG

[This message has been edited by mrmxed (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 10:51 AM

I've been getting severe system crashes not involving DDS, so the back-up hardware and Retrospect are not involved.

Newertech settings changed from 70ns ram to 60ns ram. Crashes continued despite this change.

Discovered Adaptec firmware was an old version 2.5. Just upgraded to firmware 4.1. (Until now I was unaware of the incompatibility between Protools 5.0.1 and Adaptec firmware earlier than 4.1.

The system is running (at the moment). My fingers are crossed that it will continue to work reliably.

MG