Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Default WAV DRIVER FOR 96 I/O HD-ASIO DRIVE FOR AUDITION2

I have tried to get the 96 I/O to opearate with many of my various programs requiring a "sound card" for years. I have had almost no luck. once it worked with WINAMP, but no more. Digidesign literature says that the WAV driver is automatically installed along with the program files, but how does one know for sure? I cannot find it on the install disc, nor as a Digi Support download. Is there a new one that might work? The Digidesign literature also says I should find the Digi hardware listed under "Sounds & Audio Devices," but I do not find it. I have tried the Digi MME utility, but still nothing listed in it produces sound thru the 96 I/O.

The problem became more accute when my, Digi recommended, ASUS MB had its on-board "Sound Card" crap for the second time in a year. I tried to utilize the WAV dirver feature, but nothing responds to it. So, I tried the ASIO. The only thing on my computer that can use the ASIO (as far as I know) is Adobe's Audition 2. Well, it works if you do not mind Audition taking 5 - 10 seconds to start any record or play operation. Has anyone used Audition 2 with Digidesign hardware and had that problem? It really is unusable with that great delay in responding to play and record commands.

Mike
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: WAV DRIVER FOR 96 I/O HD-ASIO DRIVE FOR AUDITI

Mike,

I don't have a 96io, but a few general things I remember might help.

ControlPanel/System/Hardware/DeviceManager/Sound...
In there, right click on the on-board sound device and disable it (you can re-enable it the same way anytime you like). I think this will stay disabled even through a system boot or shutdown. Conflicts with other soundcards are common, so that's an easy way to see if it's the problem.

There were separate rules for installing Wave and ASIO drivers depending on whether Protools software is installed on the machine or not, and the rules were somewhat different depending on hardware and revision, so check that carefully.

Also, the WAVE and ASIO drivers are called 'Single Client', meaning they only serve one program at a time (and they won't work if you are running Protools). So if you have a program that runs in the background (eg, media player or itunes or even a web browser that may call for use of a sound card), that may cause a problem. Try turning everything off except the one program you want to use.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Hi Steve,

I basically tried all those things. When the other sound card was completely removed, still no ProTools shows up. Also, the Pro Tools instructions that I can find are dated a few years ago and didn't work then either. They are not clear. When I was still engible for Tech Support, they also could not come up with a fix.

I really wonder if anyone has used either ASIO or WAV driver to any benefit. With Adobe Audition, it is a joke. Either that, or I haven't gotten it set up correctly. However, one would thing that those who came up with such a procuct could explain how to use it better.

Mike
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi Mike,

I used to have Audition 2 on the same machine as Pro Tools, and had the same problem with playback in Audition as you do. One way to get around the problem, though rather cumbersome, was to choose Audio Hardware Setup in the Edit menu, choose Digi asio, choose "Control panel" and (if I remember correct) "Hardware setup". Then go backwards in levels clikking "OK". That made my Audition playback correctly.
Just seems like Audition needs some help in assigning the Digi asio driver. I got tired of this eventually, since you have to do it each time you open Audition, and installed Audition on a different machine. And now my life is fine

Gunnar
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Gunnar,

I just went and looked at that control panel and don't understand what you mean by going back in levels. In fact, I don't understand what that control panel is supposed to be. This whole subject is somewhat a nightmare in that if I look up ASIA or WAV DRIVER in any of the indexes in ProTools or Audiotion literature I come up with nothing.

I have hade several versions of ProTools software and two computers, but the WAV drivers never work nor matter what I do or who I talk to. Have you been able to get the WAV driver to work?

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Hi Mike,

What I ment by going back in levels, was that when you have those windows open, click the "ok" button on each of them, so that they go away. U don't have to do any changes in the setup or anything, just "ok". That made my Audition start playback correctly, without the 5 second delay.

gunnar
Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM

Gunnar,

I should have mentioned at the beginning. This is a new computer that I assembled with an ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe, recommended by Digidesign. It uses a P4 processor and runs on a fresh install WINDOWS XP PRO. I am using IDE HDs and they work well with the ProTools hardware. Now, to respond.

OK, I dig. Unfortunately, that's exactly what I did the first time around. The ASIO driver showed up under all the tabs. When I tried to record or play, nothing happened. I thought the computer had locked up and CTRL-ALT-DELed the thing. Then I started all over again. Of course, it still wouldn't do anything...or so I thought. Whilst reading thru ProTools literature, I noticed the cursor start moving. Ditto on record. After about 10 seconds it will play.

I went to Sounds and Audio Devices and looked for ProTools anything, but it does not show up. The only thing that shows up is the built-in ASUS wave card. That's another story. ASUS is sending me the second replacement. Seeing that the ASUS "sound card" had died, I uninstalled all of its drives. ProTools still would not show up in Sounds and Audio Devices. I tried going to "Add or Delete Programs" and it said the WAV driver was installed! Still it does not show under Sounds and Audio Devices, and no programs will play thru the HD 96 I/O.

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Mike,
I’m away from my equipment and hope to see if there’s anything I can find for you when I get back to it. One aside is – have you emailed Adobe (Audition 2) or checked their forums to see if there’s any answer there?

But, concerning conflicting drivers, here’s a handy trick I just learned. I had many drivers of old network cards and other things that wouldn’t go away when I tried to delete them in the System section; I would get a message “Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer.”

I used the info below, and not only got rid of all those unwanted drivers, but found lots that I had never seen before. This technique allows access to all sorts of stuff that the normal “Show hidden…” selection does. I’m not sure it will solve your problem, but it’s easy enough, and worth a try.

Steve

PS: I think what the author means by ‘unused device drivers’ are those that are kept available for when the device may show up again – I noticed the names of printers long gone, and dozens of hard drives (which are probably mostly flash drives used at one time or other).

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...ml?tag=nl.e101
Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

1. Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
3. Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
4. In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
5. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
6. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
7. In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
8. Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
9. To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I followed your procedure, but did not find any "washed out" drivers. I guess that you meant they would look very different than most that were known to be in use. My recollection is that everything looked the same. I particularly paid attention to Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Nothing new appeared there. Actually, that whole section is a puzzle, there are all sorts of things there, like 9 Digidesign entries, legacy audio drives (for Digidesign?), Media control Devices, Standard Game Port, Creative Game Port, Audio Codecs, etc., etc. What that stuff really is seems like a guess. I could try eliminating some, but I probably would delete the alleged Digidesign WAV driver. Who knows?

Mike