Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 03:33 PM

Default MIDI Configuration Question (not the same one we always see)

Can't seem to find an answer to this simple problem. I have my Roland TR-707 connected properly to my Digi001, but I can't seem to get any MIDI data to ProTools. I can hear the beats okay becuase I have an aux track with the audio outs connected. Just no MIDI data. Do I need to configure my 707 as a MIDI device? I assumed I would not have to since the Digi001 is the MIDI device that I am configured to. Anyone have any suggestions? Please?
Old 03-06-2001, 11:46 AM

Default Re: MIDI Configuration Question (not the same one we always see)

MIDI IS NOT AUDIO!!! Check the connections seperately. If you hear audio, then it's working. If you get no MIDI, it has nothing to do with audio connections. Make sure that you have a record enabled MIDI track. On the midi tracks output, set it to DIGI channel one. Make sure your device is also channel one. If using a controller, Make sure that it is enbled to recieve info. (Some devices have filters for things like this.) If you are using this device as the controller, make sure MIDI thru is OFF. When MIDI thru is ON, the only data that goes to the OUT port is whatever is presently at the IN port. So, if MIDI thru is on, and you are hitting pads on the device, nothing will transmit to the out port. Also check those MIDI cables.
Old 03-06-2001, 03:32 PM

Thank you for the help. I knew I could count on you to say "MIDI IS NOT AUDIO". In every search I've done on this subject, I see your replay that "MIDI IS NOT AUDIO!". I'm not complaining, It just makes me laugh. I'm sure you've had enough of that same "Why no audio through my MIDI cable?" question.

Anyway, let me explain more about my situation. I have my drum machine (TR-707) connected properly with MIDI and audio cables. I just can't get any MIDI data into ProTools. I think it has something to do with selecting which MIDI channel to use. In the mix window, I select the DIGI as the input device, followed by MIDI channel 1. (I've tried other channels too-same result). Could it have anything to do with the "Patch" selection (that little "P" in the mix window)? I'm not sure if I need to mess with that.
I'm really starting to think it's something wrong in the set-up of the drum machine itself. Maybe someone out there has a similar machine.

In the mean time I'll dial 1-800-MIDI-ISNOTAUDIO!
Old 03-06-2001, 05:40 PM

Drums are usually done on MIDI channel 10. Sometimes 16, but usually 10. I bet your TR-707 is sending on ch 10, but I can be configured differently.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 03-06-2001, 06:33 PM

Thank you. I will try it again tonight. Any idea if the MIDI output can be turned off/on in the TR-707? (I don't have the manual).

[This message has been edited by Canteenboy (edited March 06, 2001).]