Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 AM

Default exporting video cuts out of PT

Hello

I'm making a demo-reel and cut parts out of different projects i worked on.
I did this in PT10 HD and now i want to export the audio and video files so i can import it in video-editing software and make the visual transitions smoother.

I thought i could do it through OMF but it doesn't export the video tracks..
What should i do then?

thanks in advance

Nico
Pro Tools 2022.9
Old 07-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Sounds In Sync

Default Re: exporting video cuts out of PT

Your best option would be to generate an EDL of the edits you made in Pro Tools and auto-conform the picture edit in an NLE - so you replicate the edit in an NLE and then modify the transitions. I'm not sure how you go about performing an auto-conform in any NLE, but I may be able to help with generating an EDL of your picture edit in Pro Tools.

If you edited the sound from the same picture files in Pro Tools (cut the sound in sync with the pictures) you should be able to load your .ptx file into EdiLoad, as it can import audio edit data from a .ptx file and then export an EDL file.

Before you load the .ptx file into EdiLoad create a single mono audio track containing audio clips from the same picture files that are on the video track, in sync with those pictures. So you could possibly copy the left side of a stereo track of your current edit. You should update all edits so they are on frame edges (edit in 1 frame grid mode) with no crossfades. You can then load the .ptx file into EdiLoad, assigning this mono track to "A1". From here you will probably need to update the Roll Names in EdiLoad so you can easily identify when events relate to which source reel (movie file) and offset the source timecodes to match the timecode of the original movie. Then you can export the EDL.

So it's a bit of work to generate the EDL, but depending on the amount of work you did to create this edit in Pro Tools it may be worth it.

The only alternative I know of would be to bounce your edit to a new quicktime in Pro Tools and load this into an NLE re-editing the transitions that need updating.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 AM

Trying to export video sections from PT is the wrong way to go. You need to import the required sections from finished videos into an NLE and edit there just as you would a normal picture edit.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 07-17-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfranken View Post
Your best option would be to generate an EDL of the edits you made in Pro Tools and auto-conform the picture edit in an NLE - so you replicate the edit in an NLE and then modify the transitions. I'm not sure how you go about performing an auto-conform in any NLE, but I may be able to help with generating an EDL of your picture edit in Pro Tools.

If you edited the sound from the same picture files in Pro Tools (cut the sound in sync with the pictures) you should be able to load your .ptx file into EdiLoad, as it can import audio edit data from a .ptx file and then export an EDL file.

Before you load the .ptx file into EdiLoad create a single mono audio track containing audio clips from the same picture files that are on the video track, in sync with those pictures. So you could possibly copy the left side of a stereo track of your current edit. You should update all edits so they are on frame edges (edit in 1 frame grid mode) with no crossfades. You can then load the .ptx file into EdiLoad, assigning this mono track to "A1". From here you will probably need to update the Roll Names in EdiLoad so you can easily identify when events relate to which source reel (movie file) and offset the source timecodes to match the timecode of the original movie. Then you can export the EDL.

So it's a bit of work to generate the EDL, but depending on the amount of work you did to create this edit in Pro Tools it may be worth it.

The only alternative I know of would be to bounce your edit to a new quicktime in Pro Tools and load this into an NLE re-editing the transitions that need updating.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark

By the time i red your reply i did the QT bounce. It were only 5 cuts for a total length of 4min. Now making the video edits myself in Premiere.
But i'll take a look at EdiLoad! Can be useful for in the future.

greets,
Nicolas
Pro Tools 2022.9
Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Trying to export video sections from PT is the wrong way to go. You need to import the required sections from finished videos into an NLE and edit there just as you would a normal picture edit.
Yes of course but i'm not a video editor and thought PT could make OMFs like NLEs can.. Now i did a QT bounce of every used piece and re-made the edits in Premiere.
Pro Tools 2022.9