Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Default How can I use one license on two different computers with a digital iLok key?

Also, how would this affect plugins like UVI Falcon that come bundled with Pro Tools?
Old 09-18-2019, 04:22 PM

Default Re: How can I use one license on two different computers with a digital iLok key?

And to be clear, I don't want to use the program on two machines simultaneously. I just want to bounce back and forth between my desktop and laptop.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Re: How can I use one license on two different computers with a digital iLok key?

The normal way to do this is just use your iLok. That's what they are designed to do. You install all the software on both computers and all the licenses on the iLok and just move it between computers.. any numbers of computers, Windows or Mac, it does not matter.

If you are new to all this, take time to read about ZDT and TLC "insurance" options on iLok.com. If you lose that iLok your licenses are gone, and even if you can get them back, you may be unable to do stuff for days or weeks, ZDT (Zero Down Time) and (ideally having a spare blank iLok) can get you going again much more quickly.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 PM

So the only way to achieve this is with a physical iLok? I don't have any iLok hardware, just the software with a digital key.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno_telemann View Post
So the only way to achieve this is with a physical iLok? I don't have any iLok hardware, just the software with a digital key.
No, but that's the "normal way" and you asked about a physical iLok key specifically.

You can also utilize cloud licensing. But it can be more of a PITA especially if you don't have a reliable internet connection. Start here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...iLok-Cloud-FAQ

You can just try it and go back to the iLok if you don't like the Cloud licensing.

Ask questions if stuff is not clear.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:57 PM

That's exactly what I needed, thanks.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:27 AM

Cloud iLok is a great idea, but I wish it was mandatory for all licenses. It's saved my ass recently when I drove south to do some work... but left my iLok at home. Luckily I called home, and my partner gave me remote access to my machine, where I could deauthaurize and put the PT license in the cloud, and then use it. However, I was still without a lot of plugs that would have made my life easier. I kept PT only in the cloud for a while, and tried it out in various studios and it worked well. But the fact I have to bring my iLok anyway sort of kills the idea.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Cloud iLok is a great idea, but I wish it was mandatory for all licenses. (...) But the fact I have to bring my iLok anyway sort of kills the idea.
I also wish machine auth would be mandatory for all licenses; that way the whole key was unnecessary and if you do not travel with your licenses you could have the licenses on your system drive. Kind of kills the idea of having some licenses on system drive if you need to have a key anyway (wasting a USB slot).
Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I also wish machine auth would be mandatory for all licenses; that way the whole key was unnecessary and if you do not travel with your licenses you could have the licenses on your system drive. Kind of kills the idea of having some licenses on system drive if you need to have a key anyway (wasting a USB slot).
Conversely, I just went through a situation where the logic board was bad on my new computer. I had just gotten everything changed over and authorized when it quit working. Apple had to replace the logic board and I was unable to deactivate things that I had just activated.

Waves allowed me to do a one time per year only recover, so that was cool, Toontrack allowed me to reauthorize and deactivate even though the "device is not recognized"

Sibelius won't let me deactivate because it does not recognize the device, so I can't reactivate it with the new logic board. (BTW I did start a case with AVID and they say they have released the license on my end so I should be good to go. We'll see later today when I get into the studio)

Long and short of it is that I do like the iLok system just for the portability, and because the licenses are not tied to a machine. I keep my main iLok on a bright orange lanyard, and if I need to take it some some place, I put it around my neck. The orange makes it easy to spot also.

Just one man's opinion.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 09-19-2019, 07:13 AM

I acknowledge that we all have somewhat different needs and experiences, but for me, using ilok has been mostly positive. (Using ZDT and TLC.)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com