Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Default 002 is invisible to Mac

When trying to use other programs such as Reason Adapted for Pro Tools, or BFD lite plug ins, audio for these is not heard through my 002 rack. They used to but no longer will.

When I try and use Garage Band (independently by itself) or any other non Pro Tools audio program, audio can not be heard, recorded, etc., through the 002. They can only be used/heard with the computer's internal audio.)

This happens whether Pro Tools is running or not (or Core Audio.)

In Systems prefs there is a "Digidesign Mbox 2" icon (although I'm using a 002 rack) and when selected it says "Digidesign Hardware: Mbox 2 Firmware v <Not Available>" and below that "Unable to connect to Mbox 2."

I put the 7.0 install CD back in and found "Mbox 2 Firmware Updater.app" but the updater cannot run because the System prefs won't recognize my hardware.

Is there a solution out there (other than a OS &/or Pro Tools re-install) for me?

Here is what I've done so far:

Trashed the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

(The files inside the HAL folder are:
iSightAudio.plugin
DVCPROHDAudio.plugin
Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin)

My System:
PPC G5 2.3 dual OSX 10.4.11
Pro Tools LE 7.0
002 Rack

Thanks for any help,

Kris
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Avid

Default Re: 002 is invisible to Mac

What happens if you launch the Core Audio Manager (inside your Digidesign folder in your Applications folder)? Does it show connected?

Is your Sound control panel set to play through Digi HW?

You can ignore the Mbox 2 panels, as they only work with Mbox 2 series devices.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
What happens if you launch the Core Audio Manager (inside your Digidesign folder in your Applications folder)? Does it show connected?
It does show connected.

Quote:
Is your Sound control panel set to play through Digi HW?
Digi HW is not listed as an option to select under the input or output tabs. (system prefs > sound > input or output)

I recently downloaded something from Apple to see if it was some kind of Firewire issue related with any OS updates that may have occured. It was called "firewiresdk26.dmg" that is supposed to assist with some external firewire audio interfaces that have trouble communicating with Apple OS software. I ran that and DOH! now pro tools won't launch. So I quickly reverted back to the way it was....
Well, at least for now I can still work within Pro Tools and that's fine, but it's a bummer that I can't use any third party audio related things with the 002 like I used to be able to. : (
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Avid

Quote:
This happens whether Pro Tools is running or not (or Core Audio.)
Well, first of all, Pro Tools definitely shouldn't be running when trying to use Core Audio. You might want to read the entire Core Audio Guide to familiarize yourself with how Core Audio works...

The Mbox 2 panel is only for Mbox 2 series devices and will not work for your 002.

Since I don't know what that app you downloaded does, exactly, I have to assume it hosed your Core Audio capabilities in some way. Was this working before you ran that utility?

Try this:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and let me know if it's working or not.

If that doesn't help, please let me know which drivers you have in the folder located at MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL. You might also want to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools, as that likely will fix the problem.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Hope it's okay if I chime in and ask a question on this same topic. I have had no luck getting any SPDIF out from my 002 R. The SPDIF In works but nothing from the out. I go into the System Preferences and at the bottom I see under the Other heading the Mbox2 Pro (which I do have as well) but the 002 Rack is not showing there at all. Could this be a part of the problem? I also go to About This Mac>More Info>Firewire and it shows the 002R as being there. Huh??

I have gone into Core Manager and set everything accordingly and logged out, reopen PT8 and nothing. I assume that the preset for the output Analog 1/2, SPDIF L/R means that it should be coming out of both outputs simultaneously. Is that a correct assumption? Is PT8 the culprit?

I hooked up my Mbox2Pro and it worked so I am wondering if there is a hardware issue on the SPDIF Out. Silly question, but is it possible for the SPDIF In to work and the Out would not?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Using PT 8 with G5 Quad/OS 10.5.5/4G RAM
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpmusic View Post
Hope it's okay if I chime in and ask a question on this same topic. I have had no luck getting any SPDIF out from my 002 R. The SPDIF In works but nothing from the out. I go into the System Preferences and at the bottom I see under the Other heading the Mbox2 Pro (which I do have as well) but the 002 Rack is not showing there at all. Could this be a part of the problem? I also go to About This Mac>More Info>Firewire and it shows the 002R as being there. Huh??

I have gone into Core Manager and set everything accordingly and logged out, reopen PT8 and nothing. I assume that the preset for the output Analog 1/2, SPDIF L/R means that it should be coming out of both outputs simultaneously. Is that a correct assumption? Is PT8 the culprit?

I hooked up my Mbox2Pro and it worked so I am wondering if there is a hardware issue on the SPDIF Out. Silly question, but is it possible for the SPDIF In to work and the Out would not?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

This really belongs in its own thread as it has nothing to do with the OP problem. SPDIF out, if enabled, does not mirror the analog outs unless you set it up that way.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpmusic View Post

Thanks in advance.

Alan

You have two different things going on here. First, you should read the entire Core Audio Usage Guide to understand it's capabilities and how to use it. The Mbox 2 control panel you're seeing is only usable if you actually are using the Mbox 2 Pro. The 002 works differently, as outlined in that guide.

Also, Pro Tools itself does not use Core Audio - it uses DAE directly through the hardware. Core Audio is only for 3rd party applications.

Lastly the 002 does not mirror it's outputs in Pro Tools. You have to mult the outputs of all tracks if you want them to also go out the SPDIF outputs. To do this hold down ctrl+opt while clicking on the output of a track and select the SPDIF output. This will add the SPDIF output to the currently selected output (which should be analog 1/2) and apply the setting to all tracks.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM

for Digi Support- I started my own thread regarding my question so I won't horn in on this poster.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=249627