Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 11:38 AM

Default Workspace: Search 'rain' get 'train'

So I search for Rain and I'm presented with Train as well as Rain samples. Why? This is pretty annoying.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Workspace: Search 'rain' get 'train'

What happens if you go 'advanced search' an put rain in quotes and search for, or exclude, certain specific file types?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:05 PM

It's probably finding any file with rain in the name, like train, training, drain, etc.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
It's probably finding any file with rain in the name, like train, training, drain, etc.
Yes this is exactly what's happening. Why? Why would it do this? This is of little use to someone searching for sound fx. It's actually counter productive lol.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post
What happens if you go 'advanced search' an put rain in quotes and search for, or exclude, certain specific file types?
I don't see an advanced search function in the workspace. Only the hamburger button which gives me more options but even if I have two lines one for "Contains Rain" and another for "Doesn't Contain Train" it still show Trains
Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 PM

What happens if you search train instead?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
What happens when you type "train"? :')
as expected, you get train samples. The issue is that I don't want train samples...I want rain samples and only rain samples.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 AM

This is perfectly normal behaviour. Also happens when you search for wind. It will return window as well. This is useful otherwise you wouldn't find records labeled as "windows" when typing "window" into the search.

Same in Soundminer and other advanced library tools. Not sure if this works in PT12 as I don't use it but in soundminer if you want to find an exact match you just type ' "rain" ' into the search. That gives you only records that contain the exact spelling and not train and all other words that contain the string "rain". Or you type rain -train or wind -window. Or you can exclude a group of words using (). Example: wind(gusty, blowing) -window. The comma being a logical OR and the minus a logical NOT. So the result will give you records that must contain wind and either gusty or blowing but not window.

It saves you a great amount of time learning how to use boolean search options...

But again: I don't know if this works in PT12....

Hope this helps.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 01-02-2017 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
This is perfectly normal behaviour. Also happens when you search for wind. It will return window as well. This is useful otherwise you wouldn't find records labeled as "windows" when typing "window" into the search.

Same in Soundminer and other advanced library tools. Not sure if this works in PT12 as I don't use it but in soundminer if you want to find an exact match you just type ' "rain" ' into the search. That gives you only records that contain the exact spelling and not train and all other words that contain the string "rain". Or you type rain -train or wind -window. Or you can exclude a group of words using (). Example: wind(gusty, blowing) -window. The comma being a logical OR and the minus a logical NOT. So the result will give you records that must contain wind and either gusty or blowing but not window.

It saves you a great amount of time learning how to use boolean search options...

But again: I don't know if this works in PT12....

Hope this helps.

Frank.
Frank, thank you so much!!! This works!

I was under the impression "Rain" would be enough but the rain -train works beautifully.

I appreciate your help very much.

Jeremy
Old 01-02-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvancaulart View Post
Frank, thank you so much!!! This works!

I was under the impression "Rain" would be enough but the rain -train works beautifully.

I appreciate your help very much.

Jeremy
Cool, no problem. Maybe there is some other way of telling PT12 to look for exact spelling other that using quotation marks.

F.