Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2001, 01:14 PM

Default DDS-3 maintenance

I have a Glyph Trip Rack with a Sony DDS-3 tape backup system and Retrospect. I have Retrospect set up to tell me to clean the DDS-3 every 16 hours of use. Since Glyph didn't see fit to send me any original manuals for the DDS, I have been on my own as far as proper procedure for cleaning and maintenance. I have been using a standard DAT cleaning tape and telling Retrospect to backup to the cleaning tape. After 15 or 20 seconds I tell Retrospect to abort the backup. Is this the accepted procedure for cleanig DDS-3 drives? One problem I see with this system is that when you insert or eject a tape to/from the DDS-3 mechanism, it rewinds the tape. DAT cleaning tapes direct the user to run them without rewinding and to "chunk" them after you reach the end of the tape. Am I missing something here?

I've sent this question to Glyph, but apparently they are unwilling to tell me a better way to deal with it. I've been backing up data often for the last two years with this system and haven't had a hiccup yet, but I know that as these drives and tape backups age, the chances of me finding one has "crapped the bed" are increasing daily.