Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Advice on First PC Build

Hi everybody, I used to post on this forum years ago back around 2001 under another pseudonym, but I've been away from the PC world for some time and am just now getting ready to jump back.

So basically I've been reading the Best Desktops thread and doing searches for months on end, because I've actually been debating on going with a Mac Pro instead of a PC, but it looks like Apple is going to update their line within the next three to four months, and I can't see myself buying one now (for their outrageous prices) and then having an outdated computer. I made that mistake when I bought my Powerbook.

I would like to build a smoking fast PC, with some serious power– enough to run countless tracks of VIs, as well as do heavy mix sessions. I make hip-hop and R&B music (professionally, not hobby), sample and synth heavy, and essentially I would like the PC to be my creative hub, with the power to be able to do everything from start to finish (other than vocals) from inside the box. I want to ditch my external keyboards and MPC and do everything in the PC. I will be using this system with a DIGI003 rack, Pro Tools 8, and possibly the Digidesign Complete Production Toolkit. I am upgrading from an 001 system.

My total budget for the system build is in the range of 1500-2k. Once it starts getting above 2k, I start thinking Mac Pro and tax write-off lol.

Here is the system I have built on New Egg. I would like to know if anyone here can see any real problems with it, or if maybe I have added something to it that I can do without. I've torn apart and rebuilt many a PC– far from an expert, but definitely not a newbie. Still, never built from scratch.

Here goes:

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard- 189.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor- 319.99

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory- 102.00

2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)- 259.98 (129.99 each)

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black- 21.99

SAPPHIRE 100233HDMI Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card- 48.99

HP w2408h Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ Height & Pivot Adjustments- 439.99

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler- 26.99

ABS Aplus ABS-CS-EL Diablo Black 0.8mm SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case- 99.99

Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply- 47.99

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD- 139.99

In total, I got a couple additional things I'm throwing in with the order (backlit USB keyboard, mousepad, etc), with shipping and additional warranty fees, this system comes out to....

$2,006.07

Now the price doesn't scare me too much, but if I could pay a little less, I'd like to.

So a couple questions, will the Asus P5Q motherboard suffice? It's a P45 chipset, not 35 like the popular P5K line. Unfortunately, that whole P5K line seems to be either sold out or discontinued at new egg. Now I could get it somewhere else, but if the P5Q will work and is more future proof, doesn't it make more sense to go with that?

Is there anything in my build that I do NOT need? For example, I'm on the fence about the Arctic Cooling Freezer. How essential is something like that?

Any thoughts on the case/power supply combo? I've been looking at cases for days, the options are so extensive, it's quite confusing. I'm not married to the case I picked out. If someone can suggest one, maybe one that even comes with a great power supply, I'm open to it. Questioning whether I even need a Full Tower case at all.. maybe a Mid Tower will do?

XP Professional vs. Home.... big difference in terms of running Pro Tools?

In general, I would say I'm ready to click purchase on new egg. Really just want to make sure the components are right for the build, and see if I can reduce the total cost by a few dollars, if possible.

So yeah, anyone here, feel free to chime in. Would love to get your feedback.

Thanks for your time, it's deeply appreciated.

Paul
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Advice on First PC Build

i just got a quad machine , and got 301 on the dverb test.
if you have a chance you should check <three river sound>, they make great builds and give you a real bang for your buck, great cx srv, and i spent a a little over a grand for my machine.

hope this helps
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks
Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 AM

Do they have a website? A google search yielded nothing for them.

I'm not exactly opposed to having someone build a system for me, if it makes sense. But part of the whole attraction of this is me building it.... it's something I want to do. As I'm sure anyone who's built one can attest to, there's most likely a sense of joy in completing it start to finish yourself.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM

+1 for Three River Sound.
They don't have a website, but their email is [email protected]
You can find them on eBay.
They built me a Q9550/Intel DP35DP, 250GB OS Drive, 4x500GB Data Drives, Dual DVI Graphics Card, Everything Optical Drive, Digi Appoved 3xFirewire card (giving me 4, as the direct to Mobo Firewire is Digi approved as well), eSATA port, all housed in a beautiful 4U rack case.
Mine was 1600.00, plus shipping (79.00).
I paid right around 2 grand, including my new 22" Flat Panels.
I do 322 DVerbs.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
I do 322 DVerbs.
Wow!!! Congrats!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
+1 for Three River Sound.
They don't have a website, but their email is [email protected]
You can find them on eBay.
They built me a Q9550/Intel DP35DP, 250GB OS Drive, 4x500GB Data Drives, Dual DVI Graphics Card, Everything Optical Drive, Digi Appoved 3xFirewire card (giving me 4, as the direct to Mobo Firewire is Digi approved as well), eSATA port, all housed in a beautiful 4U rack case.
Mine was 1600.00, plus shipping (79.00).
I paid right around 2 grand, including my new 22" Flat Panels.
I do 322 DVerbs.
Geez, that does sound smoking. I might have to reconsider.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 AM

Ended up just taking the plunge myself... here are the components

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (audio)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (system)

ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Antec NSK6580B Black 0.8mm cold-rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430 Watts 80 PLUS Power Supply

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

With shipping and extra warranties, it came out a little bit over 1500 dollars. Can't wait to get to work putting it together.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Good move! Those turnkey PCs are way overpriced. I would say that the only issue I had with my Quad build was trying to use the Arctic cooler fan. I suspect it was an issue with the amount of thermal grease I used. I was running too hot. So I ended up using the fan that came with my processor.
It already had the proper amount of grease on the CPU, and solved my problem.

Good Luck.

Van

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 AM

We'll see. I read good things about the arctic cooler. And yeah, those turnkey systems do seem overpriced. I had an email all typed up and ready to send to the fellas at Three River Sound, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I feel like having someone build a PC just seems kinda... I dunno... lazy? If I wanted a build, I'd just get another mac. Kinda the reason why I'm trying to get away from apple, because I want to be the sole controller of my computer again. I feel like a little whiny bitch with an apple. But hey maybe that's just me.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM

"...the reason why I'm trying to get away from apple, because I want to be the sole controller of my computer again."

You won't get an argument from me!

What you can do is take a list of parts and the configuration you want to a computer shop and have them put it together and configure it for you. There's a shop near me where they took my list (from research on the DUC), assembeld the parts, configured to my specs [again from the DUC (no tweaks, I did that)], installed and burned in the OS. They gave me a lower, bundle price rather than the higher sum-of-the-parts price and didn't charge me for assembly or OS installation or burn in. The labor was guaranteed for a year and I got all the manufacturers warranties on the parts, plus a place to take the computer if there's trouble and I can't fix it myself that already knows the box since they built it. A little more expensive than hunting for the best prices on-line and assembling myself, but, at least for me, less headache in the end.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction