Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-07-2002, 07:07 AM

Default Boost recording...?

Hi,

I guess you guys have been discussing this matter several times...But I just had to ask...

After I´m done mixing, I always feel like the recording is so thin-sounding...I mean, I put the CD into the CD-player in the car and compare it with the sound from the radiostations...a BIG difference. I have a pretty good volumelevel...that´s no problem but I miss the "fatness"...man, did that sound stupid, but I hope you´re getting it.

How do you guys attack this problem..I beleive there´s thousands of ways...

Maximizer, Compression...how and in what order.?

Cheers guys

////Go [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2002, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Boost recording...?

I answer it myself...a good tip is to start searching the DUC and THEN ask questions.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

////Go
Old 02-07-2002, 09:07 AM

go i huvet,

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It's OK, man... sometimes I'de rather chat about it than just read to myself... takes some of the fun out of it.

Roy
Old 02-07-2002, 09:12 AM

Hi,
One thing I hear about is that the mixes you hear over the radio are often not the same mixes you buy on the CD. They supposedly use a lot more compression to get the volume up and make it work in the average car.

I've been pretty happy, though, when I compare my mixes in the car CD player to a commercial CD in the same system. That seems to be a lot closer.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck,
Mark
Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 AM

Also, the stations themselves compress the hell out of their signal...
I'd like to add that Normalization is a great tool and final step. That will raise the overall levels and leave the ratio between volume levels in place. Compressing will bring your lows up closer to the highs... which is fine for Rock and Hip Hop or whenever you want everything to be 'in your face' loud.
My career, however, has had more to do with acoustic recording where dynamics are desireable. I normalize my bounced mixes to 100% when I'm sure I won't be adding anymore processing.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:22 AM

my advice would be to start with a good mix, period.
Before you add any type of processing, make sure everything sits pretty in the stereo field and that all your levels are where you want them.
As far as the 'fatness' you're referring to, it's all about using proper eq and compression. The latter being the key to a 'pro sound' once you get a good grip on it.

A good mulitband compressor, like the Waves C4 across your mix will make a big difference (subtlety is also the key here), and an L1 to finsih things off will yield great results.

Although I'm not an advocate of normalizing an entire mix, I won't argue that if it works for some, depending on the style of music, then so be it, normalise away (I only normalize individual files that were poorly recorded, and even then, quite sparingly).

The other advice would be to do a search on this board, there's a Barnes & Noble's worth of info on just about everything, brought to you by all the wonderful poeple who make this DUC happen.

Books, magazines, websites, etc...it's all out there. Your best mentor will be your own mistakes and reading about how to correct them on the next pass. Wash, rinse, repeat, and your mixes will inevitably get better.

good luck,

pk
Old 02-07-2002, 10:23 AM

Last on the Mastertrack you put Waves L1 in the finalizing mode and before that get the C4 on the same track and I´m sure it will get you in the right direction. You can get the Gold Bundle or Platinum Bundle (soon) at Musikborsen in Gothenborg...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-07-2002, 10:43 AM

Try the Maxbass from Waves. In mastering I set up the C4 trimming the mids and lows, then add the Maxxbass, then any extra EQ, then the S1 for imaging, the a bomb factory stereo compressor, then the another EQ if necessary, then the L1.
You might find this set up redundant, but I use the eq´s with subtlety because the compressors always rob me of high end!! lol
Anyways, I used to have the C4 right before the L1, but then any Eq´ing I did got squashed by the C4. Having it at the begginnig of the chain has given me far better results.

my .02

www.abacomusic.com
Old 02-07-2002, 10:45 AM

Hi PK-
I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on what bothers you about normalizing an entire mix as a final step before burning.
While I've been recording for some 30 years now, it's only been the past 4 or 5 years that I've been transfering my gray (grey) matter to digital techniques. Normalizing the final mix was suggested to me by a friend in a prominant post production house and I've been under the impression (false?) that it was common practice at that level.
In essence, you are taking the hottest signal in the track and moving it up to 0db (norm set to 100%) with all else following in scale. Just wondering why that would be a bad thing. Always willing to learn. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks
Old 02-07-2002, 11:54 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JMS40:
Hi PK-
I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on what bothers you about normalizing an entire mix as a final step before burning.
While I've been recording for some 30 years now, it's only been the past 4 or 5 years that I've been transfering my gray (grey) matter to digital techniques. Normalizing the final mix was suggested to me by a friend in a prominant post production house and I've been under the impression (false?) that it was common practice at that level.
In essence, you are taking the hottest signal in the track and moving it up to 0db (norm set to 100%) with all else following in scale. Just wondering why that would be a bad thing. Always willing to learn. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, no problem...

Again, let me just make it clear that this is purely an opinion based on what works best for me, and not the way 'it should be done', necessarily.

Although 'normalizing' would seeem nothing short of common practice, given what it sets out to do, the option sits somewhere within a grey area when it comes to whether or not one should process an entire mix with it. Some engineers apply it while others may go into convulsions at the mere mention of it.

My reasons begin with the idea that a good mix should already have a great sense of balance and volume. If you read some of the previous threads on mixing mehtods, you'll notice most people favor the ubiquitous 'drums and bass first' method.
When you're done mixing the song, prior to compression and final eq on the mix, you should - ideally - have your master fader's level boppin' at around -6db, give or take a few.

While normalizing will raise that overall level, it will also raise any noisefloor present in the tracks.
Furhtermore, by peaking at precisely 0db, you may encounter problems if you decide to later take the mix to a professional mastering facility, disabling the engineer to add any of his own magic, due to the choked headroom.

I think the most important thing (yes, again) is the final mix itself. Try to get it perfect, then bring it back into a new session. Add your C4 (don't get carried away or you'll suck the life out of the music, less is definitely more here). You'll quickly notice how your mix already has more dynamics and sounds a bit tighter.
Then all you want to do is boost the output while retaining all the character the multiband compressor and final eq have added to your song.
Normalizing will 'seem' to do the trick, but I would give this method a try, this way you can compare the difference yourself. Only you can be the true judge as to whether the C4+L1 vs. Normalise method works best for you.

pk

p.s. If you don't have access to Waves plugs, there are alternate ways, Digi's Limiter, or simply import your .wav mix into T-Racks24, which also sounds gorgeous.