Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Default Software Monitoring On/Off

So, downloaded PT9, hooked up my RayDat PCIe card. Whammo - 36 inputs all showing up and working.

Now, I usually track with an external mixer and then in Logic or Cubase, I turn off the software monitoring and I am able to monitor the mic directly. (At a buffer of (256-512). The software plays back the audio great and when you are tracking it doesn't allow audio to pass back to your monitors.

However, in Pro Tools (including 9), it looks like there is no way to disable software monitoring.

This kind of blows, because this ends up being your workflow if you want to use an external mixer:

- Record enable a track. Mute it so you don't hear the audio mixed with the audio you are already hearing from your mixer.

- Press play, record your audio. Stop.

- Turn mute off, so you can hear what you recorded.

Obviously, the alternative is to record at a lower buffer (128) and just monitor through protools.

Or, get a digi device, like the Digi003, or the new MBoxes. (I do already own an 003 and I guess I am going back to that so that I can use low latency monitoring, even at high buffer levels.)

So, my post is to say - why did they leave out the option to turn off software monitoring, if they are releasing it to any audio interface out there??? Is this the new ADC? We want the ability to turn off software monitoring!

Maybe I am missing something, but I haven't been able to find a way to turn off software monitoring in ProTools 9.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Software Monitoring On/Off

Does it allow you to lower the buffer size to 64 samples???
Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Yes, in PT 9 with my RME Ray dat card, it shows: 64,128,256,512 and 1024.

I know I can go down to 64 samples, but I want to use my external mixer to monitor. I love having mics open without having to record enable, etc.

This would also affect people using interfaces like the RME Fireface, who use total mix. If they monitor through total mix, they would have to keep on muting and unmuting a track while they are recording to keep from 2 streams of audio coming out the speakers.

In Other DAWs, you just turn off software monitoring to solve this.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM

This is a deal breaker (to me) for PT9 if it's true. I run an RME FF800, and also have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for M-Powered. I also quickly discovered the nice DSP mixer in the Ultra was just about unusable with PT 8 unless you got really good at punching in while also hitting the mute button on the track. Not practical IMHO, and the option of monitoring through M-Powered was bad with the high buffer cap.

Perhaps folks will find a work around for PT9 for users of DSP monitoring. Folks picking up the new RME UFX will surely want this too.

All I would want is this aspect of PT to work like it easily can in Sonar or Reaper. Basically for the program to only pass audio that is already recorded, ala NO input monitoring period.

???
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 PM

I am hoping Avid will work out something for this. (If it's not already there and I am just missing it). But, I have searched all through the software and manuals and I am pretty sure there isn't a workaround.

Or, maybe the workaround is that you really do need to use an Avid Interface once you start switching your buffers up past 256....... So clooooosssse........
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 PM

not sure what you guys are having problems with. it is working w my fireface 800 just fine.

the buffer is set in the asio client (or core audio) (ff 800) if your buffer is set to 64 or so you are fine. you can send to any outputs you want to on the fireface (to ext mixer) w no issues, track and overdub.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 PM

You could always just Option click and set the outputs of tracks to none. Then when you want to playback just set them back. Don't know how you will overdub things when monitoring using your mixer though.
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz
-4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
-Dual GeForce 9800MGT SLI
Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM

think i was also responding to you on gearslutz, maybe not but:

i think i see what you are saying. but for me i guess i see no need for it. everything is routed in and out of pro tools. i can track and od through the fireface into pt, record, out of pt, into the ff, output of fire face, and have no latency or issues tracking or od'ing. pt will only connect to one interface at a time. wether its the 002, or ff. your i/o latency is no real difference.you are trying to monitor strictly off of the ff before it gets to pt if i understand what you are trying.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 PM

+1 on this.

I use a console for monitoring and it's nice to for bands to be able to hear themselves (or to be able to talk) when I'm switching between sessions or setting up tracks.

I feel like it couldn't be too make it so tracks that are record enabled don't play new material.

Thank you so much for PT 9, I'm soooo excited!! I was earnestly beginning the process of jumping ship, now I'm here to stay!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 PM

guitardom:

Because I monitor on an external mixer (or the fireface 800 Total mix), I can have my buffer set at 1024 and there is not latency because I hear the direct vocal through my mixer. So, regardless of wether the buffer is at 32 or 1024 there is no change in latency. (That is the beauty of using an external analog mixer, or DSP mixer like total mix).

The problem is when you go into pro tools and record enable a track, you end up hearing both the vocal through your external mixer AND the vocal that is monitored through vocal at the same time with the latency of the moment (depending on your buffer setting).

So, you mute the track and just listen to your external mixer. However, soon as you stop recording, you have to unmute the track to hear your audio that you just tracked. Do this 100 times in a session and it gets pretty old.

In Cubase and Logic, you can turn off Software monitoring and it basically mutes the signal for you when you are tracking and then you hear your recorded material fine as well.

Hope that makes sense, I just want to clarify what I am talking about.

For people who want to buy these new audio interfaces that have DSP like the new RME device (you can run some reverb, etc), it would cause you the same problems and would get frustrating. (Unless of course you monitor through Pro tools at a buffer of 64 or 128 all the time.) However, in my experience, get a bunch of plugins and VIs happening and before you know it you are at 512 buffer.

One question for you:

I don't know if you are on windows, but if you are, I know that ASIO has some thing called direct monitoring. I am wondering if this factors into the situation at all that you are able not to hear double audio.

Here's the test. Put your buffer on 1024, monitor through total mix (send the incoming audio to your speakers pre-protools) and tell me if you hear 2 signals when you record in protools.