Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: de-essing

Quote:
Roy, IntelDoc, (anyone who has advice),

I'm having a lot of trouble with esses. I know my recordings are not so high-quality that it really matters that much, but anyway. My current method, which I learned from an engineer in a studio in San Francisco, is to use a separate vocal reverb send whose aux track has the high end rolled off, but it makes the reverb murky, so I end up bringing up the regular reverb send to compensate, and the esses return in all their ear-lancing brightness. Rolling off the treble on the vocal track kills the dynamics of the vocals (in my opinion), and I haven't found the de-esser function of the Digirack Compressor very helpful. Mic techniques notwithstanding, can I get some general de-essing advice?

Roy, thanks for listening to Jeremy, Johnny-O, Josiane. It was fun recording it. I wrote it as a folksong about a decade ago, but when I sat down to record it, I had been listening to an old Subhumans record all day. Here's my latest, complete with splashy esses.

Jack Rabbit...so sorry for the late reply. Email me when you can and I can help with the DeEsser, and more.....too much to go into here.

-Roy
Old 11-25-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Playing "with" drums.... Just for fun!!!
:P

Icer

Peace,

Roger

Nice, Rogerio....the low-B guits sound great, as do the drums. How've you been? In Cali now? Brazil?...both?

Nice job on this... -Roy
Old 11-26-2006, 03:27 AM

Default FEEDBACK WANTED

hi im new here and i see you guys are giving eachother feedback towards mixing of songs
i got this new project here and i wondered if u people can give feedback. you can be honest, im not scared

a friend made an electro breakbeat accoustic album, and he needed an ingeneer and main producer for this one.

guitars and vocals are recorded with a dynamic mic, senheiser (exept "stop" vox and guitars are recorded with sontronics s2 at home in my livingroom.
drums are from samplers
everything is recorded with cheap soundcart and edited in nuendo.

im mixed in mbox 2 in protools with waves 5 and pluggo chamberverb
all fyles went tru the mindprint dtc tube, to warm it up
and all is mixed on event type bass speakers.
its not mastered, did not use L1+ or L2 or any mastering plugin so far.

hope to hear from you guys
peace peter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=631323
Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Nice, Rogerio....the low-B guits sound great, as do the drums. How've you been? In Cali now? Brazil?...both?

Nice job on this... -Roy
Hey Roy... Thanks!!!! i have been extremely busy with work lately... I'm doing Video Editing more than ever... All the songs that i write now are being used on my TV show. BTW, here is a teaser for the new show coming up: Icer Air 2006 - San Francisco

What about you, what have you been up to? Hope all is well...

Roger

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

Basement studio, all recording via ptle and reason, plug ins only. Mastered off location.

http://www.myspace.com/rhythmvision

Working our next one currently.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Feedback Please!!

My first mix with my 002R and PTLE 6.4
I didn't track it, they just bought me the raw tracks from a tracking session they did elsewhere.

Band are some young friends of mine from the local area.

At the moment I only have BOSE 101s to monitor through, so any advice/feedback from you seasoned pros would be great!!
Thanks so much.

'Excuse me' by Same Old Story: www.jcsmotorsport.com/nitrolx/excuse_me.mp3
Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Feedback Please!!

Here's a new one...3 singers from 3 different countries. Hal Butler(memphis/USA), Paul Curtiz(Belgium), and Anna Biehl(Sweden)...mastered by Ola Sonmark(Sweden)....me, music/lyric/guitars.

thanks for listening... -Roy

In My Head
Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Here's a new one...3 singers from 3 different countries. Hal Butler(memphis/USA), Paul Curtiz(Belgium), and Anna Biehl(Sweden)...mastered by Ola Sonmark(Sweden)....me, music/lyric/guitars.

In My Head
All bow to the master!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:

In My Head
This is GENIUS work!!!! So GOOD!!!! This song is IN MY HEAD now!

Everything is so good.

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 12-05-2006, 12:01 PM

Aussie and Rogerio.......thanks!...