Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 03:50 PM

Default No "Channel Strip" For PC

I recently emailed Metric Halo regarding future PC support for their Channel Strip plug-in. The following was their response:

"Thanks for contacting Metric Halo and voicing your support for a Windows version of ChannelStrip. We recognize that there are many users who would benefit from such implementation, but we are unable at this time to support them. Simply, it is not technologically feasible to port our software to the Windows environment now. We are working towards Windows support in the future, most likely as part of our new Mobile I/O product.

In any event, we appreciate your support of Metric Halo, and hopefully, we will be able to count you as one of our many users in the future. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Matthew Nelson
Metric Halo
M/S 601 - Building 8
Castle Point Campus
Castle Point, NY 12511-0601 USA
tel +1 845 831 8600
fax +1 253 399 5897"

It seems that the cost of hiring Windows programmers & testers out weighs the benefits of receiving the money from our purchases. Is that what's going on here or am I missing something?

PTLE PC was released in June 2000. So far, there are only two 3rd party companies providing RTAS plug-ins for PC (Waves & Bomb Factory).

What's with this "We don't support Windows platforms" crap I keep hearing from companies like Metric Halo, McDSP, Kind Of Loud, etc.? I thought the idea of commercial business is to provide good products and services to your customers and make lots of money. Don't these guys want to make more money? The Windows platform represents a large (and growing) segment of the music recording population.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: B.Ray ]
Old 08-28-2001, 03:57 PM

Default Re: No "Channel Strip" For PC

I agree.
Give us more choices. Get in the "Win development game" or fade out. Mac should not be the only option. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2001, 07:41 AM

I hate to say this and it goes against the grain but if you look at the Mac and PC postings on this DUC there is a 3:1 in favour of Mac.

I use my PC 99% for my business (not music) and 1% music.

If Digi 001 is being classed as a home studio setup then most people (at home will have a PC), therefore it is about time these music companies realised that and produced the goods.

I am so fed up with the lack of windows plugins that I am seriously looking at other PC based software. The DVerb is so bad I have ditched it and there is nothing else but Waves.

On my Soundscape system the Waves reverb was basic , but the TC reverb was excellet (Win dows based). So if a TC reverb can be produced for Soundscape then why not Digidesign.

The answer to this is simple - Digidesign have pushed the Mac and those that want to run on Windows cannot be 'professional' so except a second rate product and therefore no third party will produce any plugins.

A sorry state of affairs but true.

Karl
Old 08-29-2001, 08:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by karlp:
I hate to say this and it goes against the grain but if you look at the Mac and PC postings on this DUC there is a 3:1 in favour of Mac.
A sorry state of affairs but true.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes...3:1...but the MAC version has been around longer. I've been watching the message totals RECENTLY...and the numbers for PC are going up faster than the mac.

It is very disapointing that there are only 2 other makers of RTAS plugins other than DIGI. Maybe this shows the need for DirectX support.
Old 08-30-2001, 09:50 AM

Waves has a channel strip plug for PC in the Native collection. fatdaddy
Old 08-30-2001, 10:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by fatdaddy:
Waves has a channel strip plug for PC in the Native collection. fatdaddy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Metric Halo Channel Strip is said to provide the sound of an expensive mixing console channel (i.e. SSL). It was nominated for a Tec Award this year.

Sure, there are other ways to emulate an analog channel with plug-ins but at a much more expensive CPU hit. But that's not the point. Why won't these plug-in vendors make the same plug-ins for Mac & PC?

When I asked the owner of McDSP this question , last year at AES (I think), he said he'd love to release PC RTAS plug-ins but he couldn't afford to hire a Windows programmer at the time. "Can't afford to hire a Windows programmer...". Hmmmm!!!!!?????
Old 08-30-2001, 10:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> fatdaddy:
Waves has a channel strip plug for PC in the Native collection. fatdaddy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which one? if you are talking about the Waves audiotrack, it is a set of the channel strip functions, EQ, Compression and gate but no tape emulation.

D.