Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2020, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Worst Dark Mode Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSchroeder View Post
I've never seen a worse dark mode implementation on any product anywhere.
I like it.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:14 AM

Hey MusicMan, i guess i can turn back on my words just a little, i feel it is nicer than the other dark skins i mentioned :) i tend to stay on the basic gui in DP myself. for my eyes the problem is the blurriness they perceive on the mixer in PT especially. It just looks so busy now, i think it might be my eyes reaction to the white text everywhere at small resolution perhaps. i find the edit window is far more digestible if that makes sense? the green text up top in the edit window is very easy to read, but white text and the deep darkness makes me 'reach' more than i had to ... sorry if that sounds like a convoluted explanation of my perception of it!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
Hey MusicMan, i guess i can turn back on my words just a little, i feel it is nicer than the other dark skins i mentioned :) i tend to stay on the basic gui in DP myself. for my eyes the problem is the blurriness they perceive on the mixer in PT especially. It just looks so busy now, i think it might be my eyes reaction to the white text everywhere at small resolution perhaps. i find the edit window is far more digestible if that makes sense? the green text up top in the edit window is very easy to read, but white text and the deep darkness makes me 'reach' more than i had to ... sorry if that sounds like a convoluted explanation of my perception of it!
I couldn't stand the stock/basic/default gui in DP (at least not for DP9 as I understand things have changed in DP 10). Was glad to have the 'none more black' theme. Tried the PT-like theme and it was a nightmare visually for me.

I think the negative reaction here is people have gotten so used to what was the status quo look and that anything different is going to have a rough reception. It's good that there is a choice between two looks and wouldn't mind seeing some kind of adjustability.

QAPLA!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:49 AM

The time is finally right for AVID to add frequency depended color coding of waveforms. They would really pop out and get you hunting down those plosives, sibilants or whatever you can't see with standard waveforms.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:32 AM

It's like a bad Reaper skin mimicking Pro Tools. Way too dark for my 50 year old eyes. The white text is scorching my retinas. C'mon Avid, how about a little contrast control?

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 11-13-2020, 06:34 AM

I was a little intrigued by Dark Mode but after seeing it I went back to regular mode.

Dark Mode kind of reminds me of those show your studio threads where people work with LED lights everywhere and sit in the dark. Plus it looks a little early 2000s IMHO.

No worries here, though. As long as regular mode continues to be included I'm happy.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-13-2020, 06:39 AM

I applaud the team for trying. Many users have been clamoring for a dark skin to match the macOS system UI. I personally find the darker UIs much easier on my eyes eg. in Finder, my browser, etc.

I'm going to try to spend a few days with this and see whether I can adjust but my eyes are straining to read information from my screen here. My kneejerk reaction is that the re-skin feels rushed and undertested.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:09 AM

It's grotesque - amateurish, hard to look at - couldn't get back to the proper Pro Tools look fast enough. And what's with the ugly bright purple logo too.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blemished View Post
It's grotesque - amateurish, hard to look at - couldn't get back to the proper Pro Tools look fast enough. And what's with the ugly bright purple logo too.
The icon looks so cheap. Kind of like it was “made in China” style
Old 11-13-2020, 07:59 AM

It's not quite dialed in but give it a couple of revisions and it'll be fine. In general, boundaries are hard to make out. The mix of colors is too extreme (red no longer looks red, etc.) The edit background / grid contrast should be adjustable in both classic and dark mode.

I'd prefer to work in dark mode because it's (theoretically) easier on my eyes but I find myself working harder to figure out where I am now.

I do like the automation lines changing color.

Thank you Avid for trying.

Also, off topic but "Optimize Performance at Low Buffer Sizes" is incredible. Got to the end of a mix and realized the buffer was at 32 samples the whole time... kudos! In general, pleased with 2020.11. Feels like an actual upgrade.