Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Default Re: PT10, Blue Screen of Death on startup

Honestly... It is a software architecture limitation, and Avid has made it pretty clear that they have no intention to support AMD multi cores... any that work are a happy accident.

I'd love to be wrong about this... any Avid folks, feel free to kick my trap shut.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM

I have been reading up on the processor and it seems there is a smattering of blue screens out there with the same error code for software other than Pro Tools, mostly games. The Cool and Quiet tech and the Core Boost/ Turbo Boost stuff seems to be a problem. Apparently disabling them in the BIOS does not stop them from throttling/boosting the clock speeds. That might explain why the BSOD happens, and why its random. The AMD OverDrive utility can be used to stop turbo boost by first turning it on, applying and saving, and then turning it off, applying and saving. So, that helped to get my core frequencies stable, but still no luck opening the application. Of course, it could still just be a problem with Pro Tools not licking the hardware. I wish they would advertise what they support hardware wise. Would have saved me a lot of headaches with my recent HW upgrade.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM

I'm giving Avid a shot at the problem. I've referenced this thread and opened a paid support ticket (01866795) to hopefully shed light on this issue.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM

I've noticed that when I've turned off Turbo Boost and C-states (1 and 6) in the bios, instead of a BSOD it just permanently locks up. Not sure if that is progress...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:59 AM

Thumbs down Re: PT10, Blue Screen of Death on startup

"We have not qualified AMD CPUs since version 7.4.x. Some of them have had issues with Pro Tools in the past that have prevented Pro Tools from operating, it possible that this is the case with this processor as well. Since we have not tested it in house we would only be guessing but it sounds like this is the case. We have had a couple of other reports of this issue with both the 6 and 8 core AMD bulldozer CPUs. At this point all we can suggest is that you make the system optimizations here: "

... and then the list of stuff we've already tried.

Essentially, you have to use intel. I have a new mobo/i7 processor on the way, as we speak. Sorry, bro.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 AM

Thanks, Lefthook for the definitive answer to all our speculation. At least we are 100% sure it's what we thought. "Get a new computer"

Man, Intel CPUs and mobos are twice the price for less power. I still claim it's easily resolved by Avid doing bare minimum support and updates for AMD processors.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRyanAudio View Post
Thanks, Lefthook for the definitive answer to all our speculation. At least we are 100% sure it's what we thought. "Get a new computer"

Man, Intel CPUs and mobos are twice the price for less power. I still claim it's easily resolved by Avid doing bare minimum support and updates for AMD processors.
If it helps any, I've been pretty impressed with i7's... very well built and they do perform well.

My issue is, as it has been for a while now, that ProTools needs an enormous amount of hand-holding when you're really getting... fairly industry standard performance. There's nothing so exceptional about Pro Tools that it warrants such diva-like attention in an OS.

I'm running Reaper, Reason 6, Audition, the full Adobe Master Collection, and several components of the E-learning suite on a computer that can crush planets... but ProTools doesn't like it, so I have to go buy more stuff. Crazy.

Word to the wise... I was furious after forking over the upgrade fee to find that ProTools DOESN'T work with general audio interfaces... until you get ASIO drivers. Search for ASIO4ALL to rectify that deceptive conundrum.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Yea, once I disabled all the C settings and turbo boost in the BIOS I started seeing the system freeze instead of Blue Screen. Overall its pretty frustrating, version 10 of software, which is known as one of the best products out there, but it only works on Intel? Come On...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM

There may be hope, yet for AMD fx 6100. Support just informed me that they've found a user with a working copy of PT10 on this processor... apparently there is some kind of software conflict. I'll keep you guys posted if anything materializes....

Still, I'm glad that my intel bundle is on its way.

The only reason that I haven't given up on PT is the fifteen year investment in it.... but man, sometimes ya just want to run screaming down to the river and throw it all in. lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Just Buy a AMD fx 8150 ''bulldozer'' and i have the same freakin' problem that all of you havin ' any solution has been find guys ? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592546/ have you tried installing these windows upsdates ??