Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Pro on Windows 8 randomly going mute

oh my !!!
where to start.. i had the same problem, was using very expensive gigabyte z87 oc force motherboard, with via firewire chipset pci ex card and couldn't even play audio for 2 secs on youtube. was using driver 1.1.9. so went only found out via chipset not good, bought siig TI chipset card for 60. same problem. then i changed motherboard to asus z87 plus and voila!!!! everything started working.
had same problem with asus z87 and via chipset firewire card. no idea why gigabyte and siig TI card didnt work. spend two days in a row to trouble shoot. and from now onward never gonna touch avid hardware. please buy quality hardware with good driver support.
using windows 8.1 update 1 driver 1.1.9 siig TI firewire card. mbox pro gen 3

if anybody else has audio drops / crackling sound/ no audio/ same problem please try to swap Motherboard.

thanks.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM

I have the same problem on Windows 7 with an MBox Pro 2. I have a dual 8-core Mac Pro and I have absolutely no problems under Mac OS, but it drops out all the time in Windows 7.

Literally, I just went to a YouTube video and it was playing normally. I hit Back on my browser because I changed my mind about the video that was playing. Then I immediately changed my mind again and clicked Forward and the sound was gone. What the hell could cause that?
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM

finally solved the problem but not completely.(there were glitches or pops and sometimes completely loosing sound in my daw while i browse windows or use other apps)
i went to control pannel-->hardware and sound-->manage audio devices.
speakers avid mbox pro was the the default device so i changed the default device to realtek digital output. now i can work without loosing sound in my daw but i will not be able to hear the output from other windows apps such as windows media player or youtube. for that i have to set mbox as default device again. But now i can work without any issues or loosing sound.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 AM

Switched from mac to win 8 and have the same random mutes issue! Just shocked! Searching for solution...
Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 AM

I don't think this is a problem related to windows or other applications using the mbox. I do think using the mbox as your default or communications playback devices is a mistake but not the cause of the sound going mute.

I also have a windows 8 setup, mbox 3. However I use a totally seperate set of speakers for my youtube and windows related activities. Yet I still will have the issue where the sound will go completely mute while working in a session. You close pro tools and re open and then it starts to work again. Crazy smh

I've seen funny things happen when low latency monitor is turned on in terms of sound going mute. You could uncheck that to see if it makes a difference
Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 AM

I had this problem, what fixed it for me was making sure line out 1/2 is set to 16bit for multimedia PC stuff. And 24 bit for pro tools. It seems the mbox 3 Pro doesn't like it when your trying to play compressed audio at 24 bit.