Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Bug

i think the confusion that some are having w/ my workaround comes from people using the words "bus" and "aux" interchangeably.

the signal flow to which i'm referring is:

VI output --> Aux Return/Instrument Track (with no plugins, 'cause this is where ADC is screwed) --> a *different* Aux Input (plugins go here, and will work fine 'cause this Aux is fed from a bus, not a VI output)

which i believe is also what Mesaone is referring to. just that he/she is saying "bus" while meaning "aux input"

it's important to be precise and note that the *auxes* aren't *buses*. the bus is the connection between two tracks, represented by my little "-->"

not trying to be a nit about it. just want to make sure everyone gets up and running in a way that'll work.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Is it just me or does also seem to work if you plugin on the first buss? It only seems to go off when I route the VI out directly to the master.

Strange

Btw Thank you for sharing!

Mac Pro5,1 2x2.24 12-Core, ATI HD5770,
OSX 10.11, 16GB RAM
Apollo Quad Firewire, UAD2 Solo & Quad
NI Maschine v2
PT2018
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's before rendering to audio. I solve the problem here by rendering all my vi's to audio before inserting any other plugins in the stream. Not ideal but it works.
rendering and nudging tracks on 64 channels of audio is not an option for me and if I decide to change the patches I have to start all over agin - no thanks I use a DAW to save my time NOT create more work for myself.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
i think the confusion that some are having w/ my workaround comes from people using the words "bus" and "aux" interchangeably.

the signal flow to which i'm referring is:

VI output --> Aux Return/Instrument Track (with no plugins, 'cause this is where ADC is screwed) --> a *different* Aux Input (plugins go here, and will work fine 'cause this Aux is fed from a bus, not a VI output)

which i believe is also what Mesaone is referring to. just that he/she is saying "bus" while meaning "aux input"

it's important to be precise and note that the *auxes* aren't *buses*. the bus is the connection between two tracks, represented by my little "-->"

not trying to be a nit about it. just want to make sure everyone gets up and running in a way that'll work.
Good distinction to make. He says hides Auxes at the end, so he understands that they are, but we should change the formula so all others reading don't misunderstand.

Edit: Which I just did in my original post.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM

Yeah, sorry if my post caused confusion (or if it seemed like I am lost). I realize AUX tracks and buses are not the same thing. I just used them interchangeably in that signal flow because buses are how audio is routed to the AUX tracks.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 PM

ok- my studio neighbor and i just sorted what seems to be another workaround.

put the VI on an *AUDIO* track.

then just use a bunch of other aux tracks.

the quirk here is that it didn't work when we used instrument tracks instead of aux tracks, w/ MIDI data on the instrument tracks going to the VI, and then VI outputs back to the instrument tracks.

that setup gave us latency.

midi on 1 instrument track, VI on audio track, routed back to a bunch of aux returns (instrument track not receiving any returning audio) worked fine.

not sure what's different about the two situations. my understanding was that an instrument track was literally just a midi track + aux return in one.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM

Hello all. I apologize if this has been covered already, but I haven't sat down to read all 19 pages of this thread.

I am affected by this bug as I am using Superior Drummer 2 multi-out, routed to aux tracks.

Question: Has anyone successfully used the stereo version of the plugin without PDC issues?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Yeah, sorry if my post caused confusion (or if it seemed like I am lost). I realize AUX tracks and buses are not the same thing. I just used them interchangeably in that signal flow because buses are how audio is routed to the AUX tracks.
True but you don't need to route from an aux to a bus and then to another aux; just go from aux to aux.

QAPLA!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM

Poor Implementation of Delay Compensation Functionality in Pro Tools HD 11.1.2

Just try to read the manual and you will find out a total chaos. There is not a straightforward answer to this problem.
When you have a track in a session with more delay (27351 samples) than what Pro Tools allows for compensation. There is no an elegant and clear solution to fix the problem.

It's a huge shame, avid.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
True but you don't need to route from an aux to a bus and then to another aux; just go from aux to aux.
How do you get the signal from one AUX track to another without buses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam Lion View Post
Just try to read the manual and you will find out a total chaos. There is not a straightforward answer to this problem.
The delay shown in each delay field is updated, even when ADC is turned off on a track. The solution is to disable ADC on tracks that exceed the max, then insert an instance of Time Adjuster, set to value that matches the delay indicator. This would require you to re-enter the value each time something changes the value, though.