Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2001, 12:30 AM

Default Re: something said, recorded completly w/ PT

this is a direct quote from Ssaidvox1's website:
"Thanks to Jon Fintel for his work recording and mixing the album at John Schwab Recording, and to Joe Viers for mastering."
Hmmm.....I would say the tracks were not done using ProTools Free"

In my original post...i did not mention that we used pro tools free....we used a mix 24 plus system...im new to the forums, and i didnt realize that posting on the PTFREE forum was such a big no no. My apologies. I was not trying to get free promo for my band...if i wanted that, i would go elsewhere on the internet where i would get more than 5 people to check it out. I had heard some comments from other engineers on the production techniques, used by the engineers at jon schwab recording, not myself, and i enjoyed the comments/criticism, i wanted to hear more of them. This fall im attending the conservatory of recording arts to become one of the the producers that will record "the next spoon fed hootie and the blowfish cd" as chopper put it. So i'm trying to learn what we could have done better on the tunes....a huge thank you to the people who did post their comments, like i was hoping for in my original post...chopper, my advice to you is if you disagree with my subject on the forum, stop wasting your time by voluntarily clicking on it, then writing posts which are to boring to get through the entire thing. I'm not on here to quarrel with you...i'll go repost in one of the other forums...sorry to cause a temper tantrum dear child.

Mark
something said
www.something-said.com
"What?....Do you want Digi to put your picture on their site next to Bjork's?"

Dear Digidesign,
you can find pictures of us on this website, which you can use to post on the home page, right next to bjork. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2001, 12:35 AM

(The cymbals are awesome), Also guitars clean and vocal sounds clear, can you post the mic brand/model, pre-amp used (or console) & Audio Card?
Thanks.[/B][/QUOTE]

The vocal mic was a Lawon tube mic...i don't know the exact model, but it is the only lawson mic available in the antares microphone modeler plug in. We didn't use the plug in though, we used the real thing. I'll check on the pre amp too, It was super old, looked really cool. And the audio card was the pro tools i/o for the mix 24 plus system. Thanks for your replies...I encoded with wavelab 3.0....do you think i should re-encode it?

Old 05-05-2001, 12:40 AM

See?, it was all just a total misunderstanding then. Seeing your post here, everyone(myself included)probably assumed that you had done the recording completely using PTFree, which probably got everyone(myself included)salivating over what possible combination of hardware you used to get a completely "bug-free" recording using the software. So, congrats on the album, hope everything works out for you at the conservatory..and good luck in the future. (we're not really bad people....we(myself included ) just want to have a bug free recording environment(yeah...even if the initial software is free), so that we can maybe look at purchasing some RTAS plug-ins to enhance the mixes(listening Digidesign?, already purchased the D-verb plug-in, might look at more if you clean up this software)

Anyway, CHEERS!!
Old 05-06-2001, 10:41 AM

Funny how through the course of this post our aimless ameteur blossomed into a fully seasoned Pro. Well son, it seems full disclosure, (or simple honesty) should be a prerequisite for this forum.
Will we all have to sort through musical offerings to get the info we need? The subject title, for musical posts like yours should read: Twinkle, Twinkle. Then we would all know that it is a complete waste of our time.
If two other people who are looking for a free ride are discouraged from misleading the memebers of this forum, then it is not a waste of time.
"child" is a complement to someone my age. Thanks son.
I would think you could do a lot better with the flexibility of the system you used. It just goes to show, it's not the system that determines quality.

Here is hint you need: Sound quality of the mp3 encode is not solely determined by the algorithm. I remix and remaster most projects I do with the sole intent of making the final mp3 file sound better. You can reduce the artifacts greatly by simple eq changes during mixing and mastering. It is a lot of work, but the before/after is significant. I now set the automation for my mp3 ready mixes at the same time I do my main mixes. It takes a lot of experimentation but the results are dramatic and well worth it. Maybe you will even find your kick drum.(I mean maybe your engineer can find it.)

whoops, time to clean my dentures, (or change my diaper) (or correct your dismal grammer)

Chopper

Jim S.-sorry I dragged the blowfish into this but you know how I feel about your selling out.
Old 05-06-2001, 06:42 PM

I'm growing tired of this. If you would like to continue....e-mail me off of this forum, and stop being hipocritical. Full seasoned pro is hardly the description i would use....im asking for advice, and trying to learn from others who know more about this stuff than i do. Why are you wasting your time trying to get at me. Better yet...why am i replying.

www.something-said.com
Old 05-07-2001, 01:05 AM

Evilchopper = Jerk
Old 05-07-2001, 07:09 PM

look, ma..... spam!

SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!S PAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SP AM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPA M!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM! !!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!SPAM!!!
Old 05-08-2001, 04:25 AM

This post is the best thing that ever happened to this guy's/girl's song. More people read this post than any other in the last 2 weeks. You ALL fell for it whether you realize it or not. I pulled this post from the depths of anonymity and made it the hottest post on the forum. I'm sure the guy's/girl's hit counter at his website is still spinning.
Thanks to all you Guinea Pigs and suckers(especially DooDoo, sounds like you have a masters in philosophy, and SpamBoy(Dabasstard), I haven't heard an intelligent thing from you since you registered here, now's your chance to use the other 3 words in you vocabulary).
Next time you see a hot post watch for the evil chopper stirring things up.

Chopper

PS The other post from the same day with a link on it for music quickly fell beyond anonymity into the vast wasteland known as archives. It got no replies.(This is the control for those of you that follow.)None of you listened to his/her music. It was because of the Evil Chopper that ssaidvox1 was a hot post. Wanna try it again? Change our names and do it again?

ANY EXPOSURE IS GOOD EXPOSURE
Old 05-08-2001, 09:27 AM

Evilchopper, do you have ANYTHING relevant to say about ProTools, or do you just like to hear yourself rant?

Let's compare:

ssaidvox1: started some discussion about mixing on PT

evilchopper: whined pointlessly

Ssaidvox1, thanks for sharing the music you did, it's interesting to hear what's being done in PT.

Mike
Old 05-08-2001, 10:32 PM

thank you so much for making this a hot post chopper....i owe you my life...i think we got an extra 2 plays a day on mp3.com. that's a nickel of Payback for playback. Mike, thanks for your post, im glad you thought it was worth while.
Let's stop this topic, unless people would like to use our recordings as a model for good or bad things, like i intended. Don't respond unless those are your intentions chopper. Thanks.

www.something-said.com

soon to be huge because of a pro tools post. Thanks for the big break chopper.