Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Macintosh PT Free and MacOS USB Audio

bump - the answer is out there.... somewhere.... ;-)
Old 03-11-2001, 09:56 AM

I seem not be the only one that's searching for a way to use the Free PT with the the new G4 with no audio inputs (466 in my case) without having to spend an extroardinary amount of money. I just got an email form Delta Midiman that assures me that their Midiman2496 pci card with 4 rca analog inputs plus digital inputs works with the Free PT. It's varlued at $170. I'll be purchasing it in a couple of days and we'll let you know if it works. By the way can anyone help me solve a problem that I'm having trying to record from my cd into free PT. It records for a second and then gives me an error telling me that I have to activate the Apple CD audio player and closes the Apple CD audio application.

Thanks,
Mar
Old 03-14-2001, 11:19 AM

I have always found it better to go to the movie menu and choose "import audio from other movie" to import audio off CD instead of trying to record it in. I have done this in several versions of PT, including Free and it has worked fine.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:05 PM

i really have to say that using my Roland VS-880 is way easier than this computer program. The USB error is a pain and my UA-30 is gathering dust except for the occasion dump from my VS. Plus I get "disk fragmented" messages way too often, even when SpeedDisk has been run recently. Bummer, I was hoping for something to use during the times my band mate had the Roland.

Well, atleast I didn't buy the full version.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:34 PM

Has anyone out there tried using the USB pre amp? It's made by a company called Sound Devices and it carries a hefty price ($1100 CDN). I know it's out there, but I have not had the chance to try it with PT free yet, but it works with the full installed program...
Old 03-23-2001, 11:41 AM

Katie D,

I have tried this device. It works fine with software other than PTFree. If you want to use Sound Device to record - you can, but only with "other software". You could then import the audio from another program and edit in PTFree.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:21 PM

Wow some people really took this the wrong way so I am removing it.

[This message has been edited by Java (edited May 17, 2001).]
Old 03-24-2001, 01:01 PM

Java - - -

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?

Your reply, or rather treatise, has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

First of all, Pro Tools Free is not a "DEMO" which is fully functional, it was released as a free product in it's own right.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with any "science" or learning how to use your equipment, it has to do with the fact that although ProTools Free CLAIMS to work with any SoundManager input source, it fails with a specific error condition when presented with a device on the standard USB Audio device chain.

Please, if you're going to post further treatises on subjects like this, at least TRY to make them relevant....

Old 03-27-2001, 02:37 AM

MY goodness! Here it is spring and digidesign has not written usb drivers for pt free?
I am not complaining but feel sad for all those proud new owners of shiny g4's with no mini plug/analog mic inputs that would enable them to try out protools.. I have had pt free working flawlessly on my g3 power book since it has been available ,yet would be so much happier if my mates could get into action and we could collaborate on ttracks using pro tools without the hassle of file conversions.
How hard could it be to create a usb audio solution?
Digi is the world leader in digital recording. Can't you guys let one of your genius code writers on this problem.Surly it could be ironed out. We hope soon!
Then everyone will be happier and a bit more creative using this poierful piece of kit.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:38 AM

MY goodness! Here it is spring and digidesign has not written usb drivers for pt free?
I am not complaining but feel sad for all those proud new owners of shiny g4's with no mini plug/analog mic inputs that would enable them to try out protools.. I have had pt free working flawlessly on my g3 power book since it has been available ,yet would be so much happier if my mates could get into action and we could collaborate on tracks using pro tools without the hassle of file conversions.
How hard could it be to create a usb audio solution?
Digi is the world leader in digital recording. Can't you guys let one of your genius code writers on this problem.Surly it could be ironed out. We hope soon!
Then everyone will be happier and a bit more creative using this poierful piece of kit.