How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Default How many plugins per channel?

Hello,

I am having an issue running PT10 native on a Mac, where if I put more than about 2 plugins per channel (UAD mostly, but often mixed with others), I get a delay compensation error. I have enabled delay comp, set it to max, and everything is fine until I either start putting more than two inserts on a channel, or I subgroup stuff.

For example, one common routing for me is to group the inside and outside kicks, send them to the drum group, which goes to Out 1/2. If I put a couple of inserts in - maybe one on each separate kick channel, then one in the drum group, I'll get red delay compensation indicator and I have to remove stuff.

Is this a limitation of running native? I have my main buffer latency set to 256, and I am running an RME Fireface UFX.

In Cubase, I am able to put as many plugs per channel as I please until I run out of processing power on my UAD cards. I have never had latency issues, even with the most complex routings. I'm wondering if there are settings I am missing out on. I need to be able to run Pro Tools, as clients will often not want to use Cubase if they are tracking in other places as well....

Thanks for any input on this.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Re: How many plugins per channel?

start by displaying the Delay Comp info for the tracks (I prefer it on the Mixer window over the Edit Window) to see where and how much you are out
then what is your hardware buffers set to, probably to high for the UA to leave and come back to Pro Tools
do you have sends feeding back on them selves? that wil case the DLY to turn red

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Well now, I'm not sure what's happened - but I reopened the session I was just working on and it seems to be OK now. My buffer setting was 512, not 256 as I mentioned above. And I kept running into problems. Maybe the new UAD update fixed it? Who knows....

I'll come back if I see it crop up again. Sorry for the time suck.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM

for mixing turn our buffer all the way up that will help your plugin power