Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM

Default AmpliTube 3 NewVersion!

Hi.
IK AmpliTube 3.0.2

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/index.php?Community
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Re: AmpliTube 3 NewVersion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I. View Post
Old 07-16-2010, 03:17 PM

thanx k.i.
though the release notes say fixed midi control issues
still can't learn midi from pro tools session...
e
Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Elicious, can you mention what you're trying to do with midi learn? I've just finally figured some of it out. It's relatively simple but the PT reference guide is very brief and vague on how to do it. Perhaps I could help.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM

hey there.
well, for ex,
over the years i've "played" many a wah with my hands for guitarists
who can't shred and pick their nose at the same time.
so, with a virtual one, like A3,
it'd be nice to assign, say, my mod wheel,
on my oxygen kb to stand in.

or, move the virtual mics around with my control knobs...
in the standalone ver all this works bueno.

but, instantiate in a pt session and no go.
i did a support ticket months ago (when it first came out)
but yet to no avail.

still, it's great tool
so i'm not holding fast
but moving forward with it's other wonderfullness
(apologies to the coz...)
e
Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Okay, I figured this out. As mentioned, the PT Reference Guide barely even touches on this. It might sound complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple.

For guitar purposes using midi, the simplest way is actually to use an instrument track bussed to an audio track. This seems counter-intuitive because we're used to using audio tracks. But an instrument track is basically a combination of a midi track, which controls what's on an aux track. If you were wanting to record a guitar processed through an amp sim to "print" the effect, a typical way would be to route the guitar through an aux, bussed to an audio track that records it. This is the same thing only adds midi to control it. If you wanted to you could just create a midi track, then an aux track, and an audio track and do the same thing. The instrument track makes it simpler.

What you first want to do is set up a mono instrument track. The input of the instrument track should match whatever interface input your guitar is plugged into. The output of the instrument track should be a mono bus (bus 2, for example). Create a mono audio track and set the input to match that bus. Record arm the audio track.

On the instrument track, insert Amplitube 3 for our example.

At the top of the instrument track is a light gray button that usually says "all". This is the midi input and generally should be left alone except for specific situations. "All" covers whatever keyboard you have hooked up (in your case, the oxygen). Right below it is a dark gray button which is the midi output. Click on it, and it will say none, then Amplitube 3, then predefined. Ignore predefined and select Amplitube 3.

Click on the Amplitube 3 plugin to open the plugin window. In the stomp section, select a wah pedal. Now, right click (or control click) on the pedal, which shows you "assign automation" and "assign midi". Choose assign midi, and it will give you the choice to "learn midi". Click on that and it opens a small window. Now you move your midi controller, for example the mod wheel, and it learns it. You can do the same thing with any parameter on any device in Amplitube 3. For example, use the expression pedal to move the treble knob on the Fender twin reverb. You can do several things at the same time, moving one thing with the mod wheel while using the expression pedal to do another. Cool! (Note: I have the M-Audio Axiom 61, and the M-Audio EXP pedal hooked to the back of it and the pedal works great. Also works great with the Eleven Rack.)

The reason I mention to use an instrument track (or midi and aux track) bussed to an audio track, is because for wah, volume or anything with guitar, you want to go ahead and record the processed signal with the effect to an audio track, because it would be very difficult to do after the fact. If you, for example, set up an audio track (and a midi track for control) to record your dry signal, while monitoring with the amp sim, with the idea that you would switch amps later on, it would be weird because it's just recording the dry signal without the parameter changes. Like if you were doing volume swells, the dry signal would be recorded without the swells. You could always do your volume swells afterward, bussed to an audio track, even recording it as midi data, but it would be kind of awkward.

I tried this in Guitar Rig and Pod Farm 2 and it works basically the same way. In fact, I just discovered this even works in the Eleven software. You can achieve volume swells by controlling the plugin output but it's a little awkward. What I do with Eleven is add an instance of Amplitube or Guitar Rig after it, and bypass or delete everything except the volume (or wah). Now the Eleven sound gets processed through those. It works great this way.

By the way, the instrument track's midi output (or midi track output) will only show choices for plugins that have some kind of midi learn functionality (you won't see your basic eq's, compressors, etc.), and they have to be instantiated on a track somewhere in the session.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 AM

nst7----

awesome.

doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1