Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2002, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Digi question: Is SSC for Mac OS X coming?

I'm doing fine for now with my Samplecell II PCI setup, but I certainly am looking forward to having my sampled sounds never leave the digital domain, not to mention the whole stereo phase lock issue with SCII cards. Definitely would be great to see SSC OS-X arrive hot on the heels of PTle OS-X (hopefully with a more advanced filter section and other enhancements to the voice architecture, but for now OS-X compatibility period would be GREAT).
Old 08-31-2002, 07:26 PM

OK - here's my bump to keep this thread alive. Digi? Throw us a bone!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:14 PM

Arrrrgh Woof Wooof!!!

We need something like a revelation.
Directconnect, all the bussing that SSC needs?
Sound thru AU2? with playback in Digi's hardware?

Soo much questions unanswered [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 06:36 PM

Well I finally got my answer from Digi at the LA AES show. So many resources were poured into PT 6 for OS X that SoftSampleCell pretty much got left in the dust. When I asked if Digi would EVER release an OS X version, the rep said, well "Maybe. You know that the user interface is ancient, and a new release would be a total re-write." Then he proceeded to point me to the Native Instruments booth to take a look at Kontact. NI says Kontact will be OS X ready by year-end.

I also inquired about Direct Connect, and the first release of PT 6 will not include it. However, the rep expects that shortly an update will come that will offer Direct Connect through core audio, but only two channels. This sounded a bit "iffy" to me, so time will tell.

Bottom line, if you're happy to remain in an OS 9 world, go ahead and invest in SampleCell. Otherwise, look elsewhere for your sample playback requirements if you intend to keep pace with current technology.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:44 AM

wcody -

I didn't see your post addressed to me last week. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can get any further info.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:55 PM

Hi Jeff.

Would you answer to the first question asked and not run away! please!!! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 09:16 PM

I just want to make a comment here. Call it the ramblings of an old timer who's had some experience with Samplecell and Digidesign.

I've been using Samplecell for almost 10 years and currently still use two SCII cards in my G4 system. It has been a great piece of gear that has served me well and it's a shame that Digi never gave it any attention over those 10 years. The software hasn't really changed in that time and the card is so limited by it's voice and memory that it has become a dinosaur almost overnight. It still doesn't stop me from using it but the limitations are making it less useful daily. This is somewhat surprising considering the time I've spent using Samplecell. It was an absolutely brilliant piece of gear 10 years ago and if Digi had spent even a modicum of time really developing it who knows where it could have been today. I think that's a real shame given the strong need for software based devices today coupled with a card that is capable of delivering the DSP necessary to run it. I haven't even given SSC a thought as it's just as limited aside from the voice count and I don't currently run any midi software that supports it. My soft sampler of choice at the moment is Steinberg's Halion which I'm using a great deal. I can easily run 64 midi channels of 160 voices with about 10 times the flexibility but that's another story.

So...will Digi update SC for OSX...no they will not. Will Digi update SSC for OSX...I don't see how they can't but then you never know. They probably haven't made a decision yet. I would be dreaming to suggest that they've got something new and wonderful to replace it. I think the chance of that happening is nil given the amount of development they did on the old SC. It's obvious that this isn't an area that remotely interests them. Somewhat funny considering how many post facilities make use of SC for sound effects work. A true 'streaming' sampler is ideal for this kind of work.

So my sage advice is 'don't hold your breath'. While I welcome Digi's announcement of Protools for OSX. It doesn't look too good for SSC. I'd start looking elswhere for your soft sampling needs and you'd better hope that Direct Connect for OSX isn't too far away as until it's available there isn't much point for SSC or any other soft sampler within the Protools enviroment is there?

thanks for the memories and love to Digi just the same ;-)

Kevan
Old 10-09-2002, 12:43 AM

just keeping this thread alive.
a very concerned ssc user...
cmz
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 10-09-2002, 03:27 AM

Kevan

That's interesting.

Why do you think Digi haven't developed the original idea?
And why do you think they are so disinterested in the concept of their own softsampler for the future?

I know that there are in the business of selling their hardware but wouldn't a decent softsampler assist that end for the post and music market?

Shed a little light on the 'why?' here please!

Thanks

Renie
Old 10-09-2002, 09:04 AM

I don't think they will invest the R&D in a software based sampler simply because it is too little return on investment.

But they do need to have a way to use other's samplers. To that end I find it really hard to believe that DC isn't going to quickly become a reality for PT6. Maybe AudioUnits will do the trick, I don't know. But it would be nice (make that imperative) if all the softsynths and samplers on the market could easily be used in conjunction with PTs.

The only real shame is the amount of time some people have put into editing their instruments and banks with the possibility that they will not be able to transfer those setups to another sampler.

The main difficulty as always with digidesign is trying to plan ahead when there are no indications from the mothership as to what the requirements will be.

Waiting with baited breath . . .