Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 05:56 PM

Default Autosave is garbage

Ffs, at what point in life does Avid take a step back and say, "you know what, this is a pro audio application, the "industry standard" recording and mixing software of the world. Let's finally go ahead and allow the session autosave process to run while the transport is in playback mode so our users aren't losing 15 minutes of work after a crash because they forgot to manually press cmd+S while they were in a groove."

Why, in 2022, is Pro Tools the only audio application where the transport has to be stopped before autosave will run???? Why?

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 01-27-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Autosave is garbage

You make an excellent point brother.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Ffs, at what point in life does Avid take a step back and say, "you know what, this is a pro audio application, the "industry standard" recording and mixing software of the world. Let's finally go ahead and allow the session autosave process to run while the transport is in playback mode so our users aren't losing 15 minutes of work after a crash because they forgot to manually press cmd+S while they were in a groove."

Why, in 2022, is Pro Tools the only audio application where the transport has to be stopped before autosave will run???? Why?
That is an excellent idea and I didn't even realize that autosave only worked when the transport was stopped.

AVID it seems is about 5 years behind the rest on the most obvious stuff.

I remember using folder tracks in Nuendo a decade ago. Reaper too.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
That is an excellent idea and I didn't even realize that autosave only worked when the transport was stopped.
That's why you always see such huge gaps in the timestamps of your backups. As soon as you stop the transport you will see it save your back up instantly and will keep backing up according to your set interval as long as the transport remains stopped. As soon as you press play, it stops autosaving. It's so frustrating.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 01-28-2022, 01:45 AM

I guess you don't work in large post sessions. My session takes about 5 seconds to save. I'm quite glad PT spares me those beach balls during play to make sure I can actually do stuff (mix) when playing.

F
Old 01-28-2022, 02:59 AM

Pro Tools Auto Save has saved my ass too many times to count. I love it. I guess that things can always be better, but I don't have any bitterness towards the backup plan that they implemented years ago. Systems like Logic save and give the option of reverting to the auto save version. But they don't let you go back 20 minutes to retrieve an edit that you decide that you don't like, after all. That's pretty nice.

Steve
Old 01-28-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:

And you know that if it crashes while you are recording a take, the audio is in the audio files folder and you can import it and spot it into the session. It's 5 minutes of work, but if it was a great take, it's probably worth it, right???

Steve
Old 01-29-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
...losing 15 minutes of work after a crash because they forgot to manually press cmd+S while they were in a groove
Its Pro Tools' way of telling you to stop recording prog rock! I switched to punk rock and the takes are only 2 minutes long; no auto-save worries here!
Old 01-29-2022, 09:28 AM

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-29-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I guess you don't work in large post sessions. My session takes about 5 seconds to save. I'm quite glad PT spares me those beach balls during play to make sure I can actually do stuff (mix) when playing.

F
What about my post makes you assume I don't work on large sessions? Not sure how session size is even relevant to the topic to begin with. It actually takes only 1 second to save if you actually REMEMBER to press the button. And when you press the save command while playing there are no beach balls. So there's no reason to assume there would be a beach ball if the software ran the command automatically during playback. It's 2022, not 2004. Computer power is way more advanced. Have you used UAD Luna for example? It constantly autosaves with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
Pro Tools Auto Save has saved my ass too many times to count. I love it. I guess that things can always be better, but I don't have any bitterness towards the backup plan that they implemented years ago. Systems like Logic save and give the option of reverting to the auto save version. But they don't let you go back 20 minutes to retrieve an edit that you decide that you don't like, after all. That's pretty nice.

Steve
Yeah, it's great if you stop the transport periodically so autosave will actually run. But if you go 20 minutes without stopping the transport and you have a crash, you will have no choice but to go back to your edits from 20 minutes ago because that's when your most recent save will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
And you know that if it crashes while you are recording a take, the audio is in the audio files folder and you can import it and spot it into the session. It's 5 minutes of work, but if it was a great take, it's probably worth it, right???

Steve
And you know that the software is used for more than just recording; you know, for things like editing and mixing, and if you edit and mix for 15 minutes without stopping playback and get a crash you lose 15 minutes of work, not just "5 minutes of work", right???

Pro Tools 2021.12