Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE on new MacBook Pro I7

I registered just now because I am having the same problems on my 15" i7 Macbook Pro and hope to find a solution alongside anyone else having issues.. I use the Mbox 2 without PT so I installed the standalone driver for snow leopard. Upon installing, setting my IO settings to the mbox (both in system prefs and audio midi setup) results in 1 second of system audio before completely dropping out, stalling, freezing the computer until I unplug the mbox from the laptop. If I shut down my computer at any point after the mbox stalls and has to be unplugged, the computer kernel panics. Basically, the minute I plug in the interface the system locks up. Has anyone found any tricks to fix these issues? I don't even get the chance to open up iTunes or Logic to test the interface before it freezes on me.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 AM

I'm not having any problems with PT LE 8.0.3cs2 with the new macbook pros.
Ive got the 2.66ghz i7 15 incher. running with a mbox 2.

no crashes so far...

but i do have a problem running multiple sound sources outside of protools.
ie. if i play a song in itunes and play a movie in vlc player. it stutters (like an infinite delay) until i shut one off. sometimes i have to unplug the interface to get it to stop.

Anyone else have these problems?

Edit: make sure you guys arent using the prerelease versions of PT. had a lot of problems with the prerelease versions with kernal panics/crashes and freezing. (the splash screen while loading PT has changed to the Avid logo)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henraykay View Post
I'm not having any problems with PT LE 8.0.3cs2 with the new macbook pros.
Ive got the 2.66ghz i7 15 incher. running with a mbox 2.

no crashes so far...
I have the exact same system here and it isn't working. As soon as you try opening a session PT will hang. If I unplug the MBox the session will finish loading, but then I get a no hardware attached error. The system works fine using a 002R.

Are you using the normal USB MBox 2 or the MBox 2 Pro?

I believe the problem in an incompatibility with the USB ports used by the i5/i7 chipset. I ran into the same problem with the i5 and i7 iMacs.

I was able to get it working by plugging the MBox2 in through a powered USB hub, but the results are inconsistent.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM

I have just plugged in my new Mbox 2 Pro, and NONE of the problems described earlier (by me) now occur.
Everything seems to be working like a gem so far. So apparently all bugs are related to the usb-powered devices (m-boxes).
Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM

good to hear it.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 AM

I wonder if the future usb3 will be so fine. Somehow, over the years I really learnt to hate usb devices.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 AM

I'd better keep an eye on this post, 'cause I was planning to get rid off my MacBook Pro (early2007) and get a new MacBook Pro I7... guess I'll have to wait for a solution for this incompatibility with the mbox usb devices...
Bummer...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM

I think this is related to the power offered by the USB ports on the new MacBooks. I have spent the day trying to get my M-Box 2 working on my new MacBook Pro i7 (OS 10.6.3), and could only get it to work when using the front USB port. In the rearmost port, PT would fail to start, and the system would lock up etc etc. With it plugged in to the front port though, it works fine.

I have read elsewhere that there are significant differences between each port. As such, I now have a powered hub plugged into the front port, and use this for the M-Box connection and a few other things. I then have my steinberg license dongle plugged directly into the rear port, and everything is working fine. If I try to plug anything into the remaining USB port on the MacBook however, the above problems return.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM

I tried using different USB ports on my MacBook pro i7 to no avail. I then tried plugging into the USB hub, no workie. THEN I tried removing the core audio files to reinstall the driver and MY HARD DRIVE CORRUPTED And I had to reinstall a clean osx after formatting the drive.......I guess it's time to update my audio interface.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Okay. I hope this helps.

I was able to reproduce the issue on the new i7 MBP. (15 incher)

For me, this problem only happens when i plug my Mbox 2 into the usb port further away from me (closer to the charging port). There are no problems with the usb port closest to the sd slot (closest to the user).

Can anyone else confirm?

@xlr231: I am using the regular USB Mbox 2. try plugging it in the usb port closest to you.