Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Default HD I/O - seriously strange things happening.

Our B room is an Audient ASP 8024, a single 16x16 analog HD I/O and a single HDX card running PT 12 on a Cheesegrater Mac Pro. It's been working like a champ for months. Then strange things began happening yesterday:
  • Only the first 8 analog inputs are recognized; in the I/O window, the second 8 inputs are "Optical." There is nothing hooked up to the optical I/O, and there never has been. When clicking to change this to analog, again, PT is only seeing the first 8 analog inputs. Analog 9-16 appear to no longer exist.
  • All 16 analog outputs, however, work just fine.

Now for the really weird part:
  • Audient multi-track bus outputs 1-16 are normaled to PT inputs 1-16 via Switchcraft patch bay.
  • Sending Audient's on-board oscillator (which is a tad sharp and drives me nuts) to all multi-track busses only illuminates 1st 8 meters on interface. That makes sense, as the second 8 apparently aren't functioning.
  • BUT! Audient multi-track bus 1 is NOT hitting the interface's meters or PT analog input 1.
  • Track bus NINE THROUGH SIXTEEN are hitting interface inputs 1-8

Now, the obvious thing to check is analog cabling. Perhaps some dingus crawled behind the desk and moved some stuff around. Checked and double-checked. All cabling is fine, nothing has been changed.

I have also trashed prefs to see if it's a software thing. That didn't help, obviously.

So SOMETHING is going on between the interface and PT.

Any ideas? I feel like I'm missing something stupid.

On Monday I hope to have time to swap interfaces with Studio A to see if it's truly a problem with the interface itself or if something else is going on.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Re: HD I/O - seriously strange things happening.

It's not analog cabling. You likely have a faulty analog IO card. Try power cycling the HD IO (and whole rig). What does digitest see? Try reseating the input cards that is not working. Try swapping the two input cards in the chassis and see if the problem follows one of them. If it stays with the slot the chassis is faulty.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-30-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM

Power cycled more than once, no change. Haven't had a chance to run Digitest, but certainly will do that. I would guess then that the first analog card's inputs section is bad, and the second card's analog inputs are now 'Analog 1-8' in software. Will give a card swap a shot! Thanks.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircletus View Post
Power cycled more than once, no change. Haven't had a chance to run Digitest, but certainly will do that. I would guess then that the first analog card's inputs section is bad, and the second card's analog inputs are now 'Analog 1-8' in software. Will give a card swap a shot! Thanks.
Thats not how an HD IO is built. Separate cards cards do input and output. It may be either input card, you are doing the right thing with confirming what physical cards inputs are working. The input card "input section" is likely not bad (meaning the analog input amps/buffers and converters themselves), the problem will be deeper in the input card or chassis.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-30-2018 at 10:36 AM.