Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Thunderbolt woes

I have an Asus X299 TUF with the Asus ThunderboltEX card and it works. There were a couple things I needed to do to get it going. I don't have the manual in front of me but there are 3 specific things: It needed to be in Slot 4-2 only (just above the bottom slot on my board). The mobo manual will have a diagram showing the slot numbers. It needed to also be connected to the TB header on the mobo. In the Bios I had to configure Slot 4-2 to enable Thunderbolt. Also. in windows 10 when you connect a Thunderbolt device you have to actively allow it to connect the first time and set the conditions as Always or Just Once, something along those lines. When I first connected a TB device to my system I saw a notification but it wasn't until I clicked the notification that I saw those options.

If I recall, the card doesn't show up until you connect a device. I'd have to double check it but it seems like it wasn't in device manager until it was being use. I could be wrong. I haven't had it for very long but it hasn't been a problem since I got it going.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM

So, you have the TB card installed with the cable connecting the card to the motherboard header?

You also have TB enabled in the BIOS? Not sure what the Asus BIOS has, but if there is a security option for TB, set it to None.

Are you connecting to the USB-C style TB 3 port on your EX 3 card via an adapter? I believe the other two on that card are display port. If using an adapter, the StarTech adapter is know to have better compatibility with most motherboards over the Apple one.

Did you install the Thunderbolt Windows drivers? If so, have you tried connecting the Apollo to your computer? If things are indeed working, you should see a TB icon in the taskbar tray. Usually the first time you connect a TB device, you'll have to open the TB software and choose to allow the device on your system.

The latest TB Windows drivers are 17.3.72.2.

System Details
Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 PM

I didn’t even open the Apollo.....and just today I sent EVERYTHING back. I’m tired of jumping thru all the hoops for no results. The TB card showed up in BIOS once, and I did indeed set all the settings and permissions. Still nothing in device manager, and when I went back into bios again, no thunderbolt options anywhere. I tried 2 different cards, each one in 3 different locations. Asus’s claim to the mobo being thunderbolt ready was a bit optimistic. Thanks for all the help. Time to take a step back and consider my options. My preference would be the Gigabyte motherboard with integrated thunderbolt....but most vendors say “out of stock,” and some say “no longer available.” Too bad...all the components from my asus would plug right in, and since they’re both x-99 chipsets, I wouldn’t have to reload Windows. I did hear thru the grapevine that UA has something in the works, but I don’t have any other info about it. Wouldn’t a proprietary pci-e card/Apollo be slick?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:37 PM

Hey swe rec

If you want ai can get hold of one X99 motherboard with thinderbolt 3 etc for you here in stockholm and send it to you for very little money.

I heard that they are sold out in most dealers in the US but I can get one asap if you tell me exactly which model and what it cost over in the US so we know you get the same or better price here.

I dont know but is it this one: Gigabyte X99-UD4P or the SLi below or another board?

https://www.nordichardware.se/pressm...derbolt-3.html

Let me know if you need help with this.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM

The preferred one seems to be GIGABYTE GA-X99P-SLI rev 1.0 but all I’ve found is a refurb for around $300
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
The preferred one seems to be GIGABYTE GA-X99P-SLI rev 1.0 but all I’ve found is a refurb for around $300
I believe I can get one of those for 300 brand new or less and i looked at shipping with insurance and it would be less than $30.

I will double check the prices when i wake up as it is 04:00 am here and I have to get some shut eye but if you want me to look into this i will as soon as I wake up tomorrow (wednesday)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I didn’t even open the Apollo.....and just today I sent EVERYTHING back. I’m tired of jumping thru all the hoops for no results. The TB card showed up in BIOS once, and I did indeed set all the settings and permissions. Still nothing in device manager, and when I went back into bios again, no thunderbolt options anywhere. I tried 2 different cards, each one in 3 different locations. Asus’s claim to the mobo being thunderbolt ready was a bit optimistic. Thanks for all the help. Time to take a step back and consider my options. My preference would be the Gigabyte motherboard with integrated thunderbolt....but most vendors say “out of stock,” and some say “no longer available.” Too bad...all the components from my asus would plug right in, and since they’re both x-99 chipsets, I wouldn’t have to reload Windows. I did hear thru the grapevine that UA has something in the works, but I don’t have any other info about it. Wouldn’t a proprietary pci-e card/Apollo be slick?
I feel your pain. I've been on a 4 week long upgrade path. I've had all sorts of issues with my starting point and expected end point. Unfortunately that didn't work out. I had to change paths. The result is significantly better performance that I've ever had.

I've actually had great experience with Gigabyte boards so I cannot discourage anyone from giving their products a shot. In my own recent case I tried the Asus TUF x299 and the same thunderbolt card you were trying and it's working great with my setup. I cannot know what your have gone through but it took a moment to put it all together. I do think the 2018 version of Thunderbolt is slightly less prioritized than it was in 2012. My last thunderbolt enabled motherboard was a gigabyte and it served me exceptionally well.

I do think your lack of actually trying the apollo interface was kinda lame but I say that as a US person that can pretty freely return items that don't work without penalty. You might face a different customer experience so that's your break. Good luck finding a way to work. Thunderbolt on an Asus board is working for me. In my own challenges, Thunderbolt hasn't been one of them.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Lame??? I wasn’t about to open a box that connected to something that clearly wasn’t working, and face a re-stock charge. (I already had to pay a mess of return shipping to get refunds on things that clearly weren’t going to work.) In retrospect, the logical thing to do would have been to try to get Thunderbolt working, THEN order an Apollo. But again, the tb card showed up ONCE in bios, I did a restart, checked again, and it was nowhere to be found. I don’t consider it “lame” to have exhausted all my reasonable options. I might revisit this at a later date, but I had work to do. :)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 PM

What is a "US" person ?!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Right? Look at my sig, it says Colorado Springs Colorado. Last time I checked, we were still in the US.