Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Default Least expensive HD upgrade path?

I have Pro Tools 10 (not HD) with the Complete Production Toolkit. I'd like to get up to date. Avid offers an upgrade path to 12HD, but it's a thousand bucks! That's more than I want to pay for something that won't be generating any income. I'd just use Vanilla, but working in 5.1 is an absolute requirement.

Do any of you know of a less expensive way to go from what I have to 12HD? Or is there an add-on (like the old CPTK) that will provide 5.1 capability with Vanilla?

Thanks 1,000,000!
Old 02-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Least expensive HD upgrade path?

No other way to get to HD12 unfortunately and no add ons either.

$999 is the going rate at the moment. There was an offer last year for several months and avid said it was the last chance to upgrade with a CPTK 1/2. To a HD11 or it could have been HD12 cant recall. Sorry.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 AM

IIRC there is a workaround to do 5.1 with PT Vanilla. Do a search as that comes up from time to time.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 AM

There was a CPTK to HD cross/up grade to PT11HD, which was $600, and then you are locked into HD support/upgrade path @ $400 year - so you would actually come out ahead of those of us by paying $1K now...

5.1 in vanilla involves complicated bussing - which works, but is still a work around...
Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfaudio View Post
There was a CPTK to HD cross/up grade to PT11HD, which was $600, and then you are locked into HD support/upgrade path @ $400 year - so you would actually come out ahead of those of us by paying $1K now....
UPDATE: The latest from the Avid Store is that there is NO path -- at all -- from PT10 with CPTK to the current version of HD. I'd have to upgrade Vanilla 10 to Vanilla 11 for $300 then upgrade that to HD12 for $1900! Apparently the ~$2000 I spent on the CPTK counts for nothing.

I wanted to buy it when it was $600, but the Avid Video Engine wouldn't work with my computer (didn't work with "certain" Macs, including mine).

Now I have a new Mac but in just 14 months the price to get back the features I had before has ballooned to $2200!

I'd just keep using 10, but it doesn't work with any recent OS and there's no way to install an OS old enough to work on this new machine.

At that price I could just buy Nuendo and wave a middle finger at Avid on my way out the door.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 AM

I can feel your pain, it's unfair to treat you different than a standard hd user. Nuendo is an option if you're in audio post.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
UPDATE: The latest from the Avid Store is that there is NO path -- at all -- from PT10 with CPTK to the current version of HD. I'd have to upgrade Vanilla 10 to Vanilla 11 for $300 then upgrade that to HD12 for $1900! Apparently the ~$2000 I spent on the CPTK counts for nothing.

I wanted to buy it when it was $600, but the Avid Video Engine wouldn't work with my computer (didn't work with "certain" Macs, including mine).

Now I have a new Mac but in just 14 months the price to get back the features I had before has ballooned to $2200!

I'd just keep using 10, but it doesn't work with any recent OS and there's no way to install an OS old enough to work on this new machine.

At that price I could just buy Nuendo and wave a middle finger at Avid on my way out the door.

The Avid store is not the all defining way.
Check with a reputable "Music store"
They have paths you can utilize.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
UPDATE: The latest from the Avid Store is that there is NO path -- at all -- from PT10 with CPTK to the current version of HD. I'd have to upgrade Vanilla 10 to Vanilla 11 for $300 then upgrade that to HD12 for $1900! Apparently the ~$2000 I spent on the CPTK counts for nothing...
Can I ask where you got this info? http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=DYNA20001 states:
  • this enables you to purchase or reinstate a new plan so you can get the latest version of Pro Tools | HD. You must have either Pro Tools | HD 9, 10, 11, or 12- license or Complete Production Toolkit and a Pro Tools 9, 10 or 11 license- to purchase this plan
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM

No other choice but to save £1200 needed for a full HD licence. But that's what I'm doing. HD for post production is absolutely essential. The work around for 5.1 isn't worth the hassle and you still can't pan it properly and 360 degree reverb isn't an option either. It's not just surround though. Field recorder guide tracks is a critical feature too, you can't do that in Nuendo. Unless you paid a whopping £1500 for Titan software.

You missed the opportunity to upgrade from cptk to HD a long time ago. That was something they offered for a limited time to cptk owners when they dropped support for it.

Last edited by melloj; 03-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:

PT10 isn't officially supported, but it should work fine - as far as I remember, the only issue is it's a bugger to uninstall, should you need to (had to be done manually).

PT12 can be co-installed with PT10, should you end up buying it later down the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk