Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Mbox Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Your reading it wrong Feel better
*whew* thanks

so what is Avid telling us exactly about the MBox family?

GMP
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
so what is Avid telling us exactly about the MBox family?
Exactly, they're saying that the ORIGINAL MBox will not be supported in updates beyond 8.01. They are saying that the MBox2 & MBox2 Pro will continue to be supported "for the foreseeable future".

I'm sitting next to an ORIGINAL right now. I'm not happy that they've announced EOL for my old buddy, but I am frankly surprised that they've hung in this long.

What this means to me is -
1) I'm glad I just managed a second rig with a "modern" I/O (MP, 003R, PTLE 8).
2) I'll be content to sit with the original rig (old Dell, MBox, PTLE 7.4cs10) rather than spend money on PT LE 8 for the old rig, which had been my plan anyway.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Keep in mind that just because its not supported does not necessarily mean that it will stop working immediately. We won't now that till the day comes. I beleive that the Pro Control was dropped some time ago but the last I knew it was still working. DynamicsII and EQII were dropped several years ago yet still continue to work.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Exactly, they're saying that the ORIGINAL MBox will not be supported in updates beyond 8.01. They are saying that the MBox2 & MBox2 Pro will continue to be supported "for the foreseeable future".

I'm sitting next to an ORIGINAL right now. I'm not happy that they've announced EOL for my old buddy, but I am frankly surprised that they've hung in this long.

What this means to me is -
1) I'm glad I just managed a second rig with a "modern" I/O (MP, 003R, PTLE 8).
2) I'll be content to sit with the original rig (old Dell, MBox, PTLE 7.4cs10) rather than spend money on PT LE 8 for the old rig, which had been my plan anyway.

I see. so I what I gather from this is....if my current rig is working fine
(i,e,- Mbox2/PTLE7.3/MacPro), I can continue to make music but I won't get any support after their "foreseeable future" quote expires on the MBox2 and MBox2Pro?

meaning I would have to suffer through whatever bugs and glitches that might occur until they come out with something else or I'm forced to invest in another soundcard application to run PTLE7.3 that's also compatible with my MacPro.

I'm very disappointed right now. I did a schitload of research on ProTools and the MBox family before I migrated from Steinberg/Cubase/MAudio world just last year. I figured since digidesign was a strong company and their MBox rivaled MAudio's soundcards I thought it was a good bridge to cross, so I took it. now I feel like I've just been robbed.

GMP
Old 09-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I'm very disappointed right now. I did a schitload of research on ProTools and the MBox family before I migrated from Steinberg/Cubase/MAudio world just last year. I figured since digidesign was a strong company and their MBox rivaled MAudio's soundcards I thought it was a good bridge to cross, so I took it. now I feel like I've just been robbed.
You do realize your interface (the MBox2) is still supported, right?

The original MBox was a USB1 device and it's not very surprising that its time is over. I used to have one. It sounded good, but it had major throughput issues compared to the MBox2 devices, and it is definitely old technology today.

I'm pretty sure the MBox2 interfaces are in use by *way* more people than the original MBoxes, and I think worrying about your product becoming obsolete is a bit premature on your part.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Avid

Post Re: Mbox Goodbye

GMP - The announcement refers to the original Mbox (pictured at the top on this page), not the Mbox 2. The Mbox was released in early 2002 with Pro Tools LE 5.2.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
You do realize your interface (the MBox2) is still supported, right?

The original MBox was a USB1 device and it's not very surprising that its time is over. I used to have one. It sounded good, but it had major throughput issues compared to the MBox2 devices, and it is definitely old technology today.

I'm pretty sure the MBox2 interfaces are in use by *way* more people than the original MBoxes, and I think worrying about your product becoming obsolete is a bit premature on your part.
Yes. But I do realize that it's just a matter of a few years before the MBox2 and MBox2Pro will be obsolete. I was under the impression that this was a rock solid stable platform and now I gotta contend with MBox not being around one day so it's just frustrating.

GMP
Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCS View Post
GMP - The announcement refers to the original Mbox (pictured at the top on this page), not the Mbox 2. The Mbox was released in early 2002 with Pro Tools LE 5.2.

thanks

GMP
Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
MBox2 is also USB1.

This is kinda why it frustrates me that they are dropping support on it. How much does it actually differ from the MBox2? I'm guessing not much at all.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
MBox2 is also USB1.
Ah, I didn't realize that.

Well, my old MBox1 would get streaming errors constantly. Once, I hooked up a friend's MBox2 Mini and the difference in terms of performance was night and day...so I assume something was done under the hood in terms of improvement there. Also, the MBox2 Micro was released not even 2 years ago. I can't imagine they'd kill the product line this quickly.

That being said, I recently opened a handful of demo sessions I had done a few years back with my old MBox1...and was a little surprised that the tracks actually sounded good. The cheapo pre's on that unit aren't the worst cheapo pre's I've heard... :P