Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 GUI FREAK OUT on Windows 10

I haven't been able to try it yet (since it requires downtime to uninstall and reinstall PT), but I do want to point out that using processor affinity is not a solution - it's a workaround. the question I would still have is why is it needed now, when it wasn't necessary before. what changed in Pro Tools?

btw, support asked me to change BIOS settings (some of which don't exist on my system) to disable turbo/c-state transitions (speedstep) and disable hyperthreading and such. I have not had a chance to verify if they made a difference or not yet either.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 06-24-2020, 12:07 PM

Don’t think you need to reinstall.

Still all good here!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polycorn View Post
Don’t think you need to reinstall.
since I am running 2019.12 (because everything after that is unstable for me) I do have to reinstall 2020.5. and so far, every time I've done this, it blows up and I have to uninstall 2020 and go back to 2019.12 again. so it's not a quick test, and the reason I have not jumped to try it again.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 06-24-2020, 03:39 PM

I spoke too soon, or jinxed myself by saying it's been great. I just had it happen.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM

The main problem the Processor Affinity Switch solved for me was popping and crackling in audio when recording or playing back. Once I did the switch, that went away. However, even though I had it set to make the switch automatically, one time I closed Pro Tools and then quickly reopened it and the popping and clicking came back. But, I checked the switch in Task Manager>Details and it hadn't been applied. Doing it manually right there, solved the issue. As always, YMMV.

And, to the OP, you don't have to re and re Pro Tools to use the Processor Affinity Switch. And while it may be a workaround, it's a workaround that can be done automatically and if it helps Pro Tools run smooth and stable...?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-27-2020, 09:33 AM

Just a quick FYI. If you have set the Processor Affinity Switch to happen when you start Pro Tools, it will only work if you use the Pro Tools shortcut with the Switch in it. If you open Pro tools from a *.ptx file, ie from a Session Folder, the switch won't happen, you have to then set the Processor Affinity manually with Task Manager>Details>ProTools.exe.

Of course, if you always set the Processor Affinity manually after you start Pro Tools, you're fine.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM

So I finally got some time to attack this again. Avid support had some generic recommendations awhile back:

Disable Turbo Boost and C-State Transition (BIOS)
These settings are not available on all computers, but it is very important to disable them if possible. Turbo Boost and C-State Transition affect the way the clock speed of the processor is managed. When either of these is enabled, the processor will dynamically change speeds depending on computing activity. This throttling may cause errors in Pro Tools. You will need to access your computer's BIOS setup to change these settings.
Consult your computer or motherboard manufacturer to determine if either of these settings are available on your system, and learn how to disable them if so.
Disable Hyper-Threading
This optimization prevents processor Hyper-Threading, which can cause CPU errors in Pro Tools. Note that some other applications, including Media Composer, may perform better with Hyper-Threading enabled. Hyper-Threading settings are found in the BIOS, and they vary by computer model and BIOS version. Consult your computer or motherboard manufacturer to determine if these settings are available on your system, and to learn how to disable them.

I have a Dell XPS 8920 with an i5-7400 (3GHz, 4 cores/4 threads) - so the settings don't really apply. However, I find find a couple settings (see screenshot attached) that i disabled and they seem to be helping so far. I disabled Intel Ready Mode (don't think this really helped as it has to do with sleep/quick restart and my system was not going to sleep.

the second thing I disabled was "Speed Step". This is what allows the CPU to transition to the "turbo" clock setting and C-state transitions (similar to what Avid suggested above, but this is the Intel official marketing name for it...)

anyway, took me about 30 minutes to uninstall 2019.12 and reinstall 2020.5 and then do some re-configuration (since prefs were trashed). then I've probably spent a couple hours so far on some mixing,bounces, etc. Bounces is what broke it every time for me previously and now it seems to be working OK. I'll keep testing this weekend and fingers crossed... and maybe try re-enabling them one by one if I feel like giving myself a headache.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XPS BIOS.jpg (67.2 KB, 0 views)
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 07-08-2020, 04:06 PM

spoke too soon. while bouncing a longer and more intense session, I saw the dreaded first signs -- the reaming time went black... and shortly after I got the entire GUI freak out. so when it was done, I restarted Pro Tools and set cpu affinity (leaving cpu 0 free) using task manager. Same bounce. same GUI freak out. So I'm back to square one unfortunately.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 PM

tried my last few ideas but still no luck.

I had some older Nvidia drivers installed and Windows 10 did not want to update them, so I uninstalled and then let Windows update install the latest. no difference. I really thought this one was going to help.

I disabled all plugins in the session and tried the bounce - same thing.

I renamed my plug ins folder so that Pro Tools thought there were no plugins installed - tried the bounce and still same thing. and it always happens right in about the exact same amount of time left. but other sessions freak out at different times.

so now it looks like I'll be going back to 2019.12 once again.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 AM

I'm also experiencing the same issue (see screenshots - and it also flickers). Windows 10. NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super, 2 monitors, Protools 2020.5. No cracked plugins.

Unfortunately my scaling is already set to 100% so not that. Super frustrating. Doesn't happen on bounce, just randomly but usually once a day. Restarting Protools is the only way to fix - a little embarrassing in front of clients, especially after just spending a ****load of money on a new MTRX Studio and HDX Bundle and the software is buggy

Have contacted Avid support but they haven't been able to find a solution.
I'll let you know if they come back with anything else...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prtotools screen glitch1.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg prtotools screen glitch3.jpg (68.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg prtotools screen glitch4.jpg (39.8 KB, 0 views)