Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Media Composer Import Question

I have been trying to find a way to prevent Media composer from changing the names of my ProTools recorded tracks on import. It converts my Wav files to MXF so I am not able to relink to them when they send back a linked aaf. The editors are using MC 8.4. It worked on a earlier version of MC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J.R. Chappell
Old 03-05-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Media Composer Import Question

With Audio files I just AMA link them without importing (option drag them into bin) - so the file has exactly the same even if it was copied to a standalone system. On shared media copy is not needed offcourse.
Hope that helps?
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Media Composer Import Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRChappell View Post
I have been trying to find a way to prevent Media composer from changing the names of my ProTools recorded tracks on import. It converts my Wav files to MXF
In MC's Audio Project settings you can set Audio File Format to Wave(OMF) rather than PCM (MXF). This sends the Audio to the very old fashioned OMFI MediaFiles folder which most (IMO) Edit facilities try to avoid. These settings have been like this for years and are still the same in MC 8.5 here (I have not used the WAVE setting since MC 6)

Linking via AMA (now called Link in MC) appears to be a MUCH better option.
Andrew