Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Cannot load DSP plugins?

I was working without problems on a mix. Then rebooted for an unrelated reason, and now I get this error when trying to open a non-native plug:

"One or more plug-ins could not be made active because a DAE error was encountered. failure loading plug-in shell eTISysInvalidRunningStatus"

I trashed prefs and rebooted the system, still getting this. Any ideas?

FYI, I was only using EQ-7 and time adjuster.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Cannot load DSP plugins?

I'm not familiar with that specific error, but one of the moderators is asking tech support to look into it.

In your last thread, you mentioned this:
Quote:
(I'm running a Mac Pro 3,1, PT HD10.3.7, HDX.)
I'm wondering if you are still on that configuration, and what your Mac OS X version is.

Just a guess (and I am not a tech), but maybe there is a TDM plug-in that was inadvertently installed, or an HDX plug-in that was updated that might be 64-bit but not also 32-bit for compatibility with Pro Tools 10.x.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Thanks for your response. One thing that's odd is that the native plugin list suddenly shows entries for the "old-style" delays (i.e. short, medium and long versions as opposed to the newer, single version.) I have no idea how they would have "installed themselves" on this new system, since I've been running fairly normally for the past couple of weeks and all was normal until this morning. but I'll look into it.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Never seen this error, but it sounds like an incompatible plugin, or perhaps a corrupted plugin file. Have you tried removing all plugins from the Plugins folder? I have a feeling the error will go away when the offending plugin is removed from that folder. Also, with PT10, there are 2 folders with pro tools plugins:
  • RTAS Plugins are in:
    Library->Application Support->Digidesign->Plugins
  • AAX Plugins are in:
    Library->Application Support->AVID->Plugins
Regarding compatibility, older RTAS plugins may not be fully compatible with PT10. I would look at the creation/modification dates of the plugins in your digidesign folder to see if any of them are ancient, then download updates for them, or remove them if there are no updates.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Last edited by John_Toolbox; 01-04-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Corrected info relevant to HDX, originally thought the OP was using TDM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 AM

This error does not seem to involve AAX or RTAS (native) plugins at all. It happens when I try to load the DSP (what was TDM) version of a plugin. All digirack plugs like EQ7 or Time Adjuster are no longer working in DSP (TDM) mode, but work fine in Native.

Is it still possible that an older version of a native plugin could be causing problems?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM

You can not load TDM plugins on an HDX system. With PT10 and HDX you can load AAX native 32bit, AAX DSP 32bit, or RTAS. If you have any TDM plugins in your plugins folder, they definitely will not work with an HDX card.

And yes, an older version of the plugin (or in your case, possibly a TDM version) can definitely cause problems like this.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 AM

One other thing, I believe PT10 is supposed to take preference of an AAX version when loading if there are both AAX and RTAS versions installed. However, I still think you should try removing any plugins from the digidesign plugins folder to force pro tools to use the AAX version, if there is an older version of one of these plugins it might be trying to load it as TDM, which would explain the error message.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 PM

I wasn't trying to load TDM plugins. I just used the term "TDM" in my previous post as a parallel for DSP plugins.

When I try to open, for example, the stock EQ3-7 from the "DSP" plugins menu, I get the error I mentioned above. This wasn't happening before yesterday morning. I didn't load any new plugins or mess at all with the system, it's just like all of a sudden the stock Avid DSP plugins (and all other DSP-capable plugins that I have) stopped working. All "Native" plugins are working fine.

One of the main reasons I invested in PT HDX was to be able to run DSP plugins on channels while tracking. Usually it's the stock EQ, time adjuster, etc. Nothing fancy. It just surprised me that something like this would cause problems - seems like it should be one of the most reliable facets of the system.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
In a previous thread, you wrote:
"(I'm running a Mac Pro 3,1, PT HD10.3.7, HDX.)"
I'm wondering if you are still on that configuration, and what your Mac OS X version is.
Can you provide that info? It may help.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Can you run the Digitest to check if the HDX board is OK?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins