Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2023, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools has improved a lot over the last 2 years, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
These are all native rigs. No HD cards inside. A mac mini M1 is overloaded while the same session ~300 tracks plays back with 30-40% cpu usage on a cMP. The same amount of memory.
Um... excuse me, what's a cMP?
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 09-23-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Um... excuse me, what's a cMP?
Cheesegrater Mac Pro
Old 09-23-2023, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
These are all native rigs. No HD cards inside. A mac mini M1 is overloaded while the same session ~300 tracks plays back with 30-40% cpu usage on a cMP. The same amount of memory.
vvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mini M1 is much much more powerful than my 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro with HD3 cards. Even though the Mini only has 16GB memory vs. 48GB in the cheese grater. Everything is snappier...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-23-2023, 05:53 AM

Actually looking closer at this german guy test its very weird. He disabled all the plugins in the session because he was having a problem with a pro tools on a M1 mini install

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 09-23-2023, 07:24 AM

In that SMM video I would be curious if all the CPUs were warmed up before the test or not. Did anybody catch how much RAM was in the Mac mini? I wish the video had caption/foreign language captions enabled, i can make out some stuff, but not all.

---

Following up on what LDS said earlier... many Macs are pretty much laptop thermal designs stuffed into other package. And performance can be significantly dominated by thermal throttling, even potentially with Apple Silicon and its very impressive power/performance. It may be useful to report CPU temps when making comparisons between these systems.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Just another of a myriad of reasons to avoid Windows. It is one of the reasons I have stopped using Windows. Just one. My career has been mostly in games and post. For the longest time I have had to use both platforms; game dev and admin on Windows, production on a Mac. Once much of the former Windows only tools had become available for Mac (including MS Office) I realized I hadn't booted up my personal Windows machine (that I built btw) for over a year so I ditched that machine altogether and haven't looked back. Windows OS have been clunky forever but everything since XP has gotten worse and only seem to try to emulate Mac OS on the surface because they build on their existing tech instead of from a clean slate. I mean, the main drive is still labeled as "C" because A and B were reserved for floppy drives. WTF? Who even uses floppy drives anymore? No one, that's who. You can't even buy any machine with an optical drive anymore... (yet some people still work at 44.1kHz too). Mac OS is so much more fluid. All of my drives have unique names and thumbnail images to indicate their content and function, not bound to an archaic generic lettering naming convention from over 30 years ago. Closest thing to a Windows machine I run now is my Xbox Series X which is awesome for gaming. It doesn't feel near as cheap as a PC.
You do kniw that you always had the ability to rename a drive on windows?... just saying

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000532.htm

Wave-T.com
Old 09-23-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Cheesegrater Mac Pro
Thanks.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com