Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2003, 08:50 PM

Default PT6.1 weird problems-Did you notice them?

HI folks,

Until yesterday I was running smoothly in my Mac DP 867-OS9-1 GB RAM-PT 5.3-HD1.
Used daily under heavy post-pro work with not a single problem.

Then I upgraded to OSX 10.2.6 jaguar and PT 6.1 and begin to notice some weird things:

1-Everything is working ok but ocassionaly PT stops and the evil beachball or hell shows. A second after that, appears a dialog saying something like "dae error, your disk is slow (or something like this) .
But:

a-It Is not a fragmented disk. I reformated all of them. And centered the test in an internal WD120-8MB, reading from the first partition. I use to get 48 tracks from this single disk, but now it gives dae errors with only a few traks.

b-Apparently t does not relate to the load, the problem shows playing 4 tracks or 16.

When this happens, I can hear a mechanic click and something like a spin up-I think- Is like when you wake your computer from sleep. Or something like it. I'm not sure because I have the Mac 4 meters away and in a big acustic enclosure.

2-Re-drawn waveforms: Today I made a "local bounce" as I call it: I use to record a finished sesion to another two traks inside ProTools for delivery. I use destructive mode always, so if a notice something in the mix that I do not like, I stop, fix it and keep recording on the same file.
Ok, now when I want to record in the middle of the file, the recording takes place and sounds ok, but the waveform does not get updated. Weird. Never happened this in OS9-PT 5.3

3-Weird noises ocasionally in this 'local bounce". In a 45 minutes bounce I detected 4 places with digital noise added, like garbaje. If I re-record that spot, it sounds ok.

All this seems to be non load related. This sesion is very lean and the disks are recently formatted using OSX disk utility.
Have anybody experienced somethhing similar? PT 6 and OSX are nice, but if I can not track these issues, I'll be forced to go back to OS9. Ouch.

cheers

Ric
Old 08-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT6.1 weird problems-Did you notice them?

ricren,

Did you format the drives HFS or HFS+.

All drives should be formatted HFS+ (Mac OS extended).

Also, are you running SCSI on the system? If so, make sure you install the ATTO config tool from the Pro Tools 6.1 installer CD and then update the firmware on the ATTO card.

You can find information on updating the firmware here:

http://www.digidesign.com/support/re...es_Read_Me.pdf

Also, check the suggestions on the following thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=16;t=019384

Mike
Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 AM

i have all those same symptoms...disk and dae error...i am using firewire hardrives but had no trouble with the same sessions under 6.01 and 10.2.3. also amplitube caused all kinds of problems if used in htdm...rtas seems to work..still trying to find out the cause...have done all the usual.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:02 PM

Tks for your fast reply.
I do not use SCSI anymore.
These symptoms happens with internal HDs (WD 120/8Mb) formatted in HFS+.

Machine: Hairdryer DP 867-1 GB ram. HD1
Recently it was modified with the silencing kit (PSU and fan) at a local Apple service center. Do they make any firmware thing with the mod? Could be something related to a rutine for power circling? I have sleep settings to never, of course.

Works perfect in OS9-PT 5.3
Old 08-07-2003, 11:33 PM

i have made my 2nd attempt at making the transition from 9.2.2 / 53.1 to X with 6.1

in HD

the quicksilver had its first 2 crashes once in the past two evenings

the veil comes down on the wide screen and tells me in 4 languages to restart NOW do no pass go do not collect 200 dollars.

in X the HD makes all kinds of computer noise through my soundcraft board...drive talk and mouse talk are heard through the speakers that are not heard in the 9.2/5.3.1 combo

it is really noisy and if i add a talkback thru the box...it is even worse

i do not check in here every day so if someone has a tip for me....email me please

[email protected]
thanks and i hope this informed others if they thought they were the only one

Old 08-08-2003, 02:47 AM

There are some serious OSX SCSI driver issues. You are better off use IDE and Firewire w/OSX and PT 6
Old 08-08-2003, 04:37 PM

I run HD 3 systems with Os 10.2.3 and use lacie firewire drives. It seems pro tools is very slow. THAT STUPID BALL IS ALWAYS SLOWING SESSIONS DOWN!!!

As well the sound fx SCSI drives which come from Os 9.22 systems have all kinds of problems from sessions not opening to sessions being done and they take there drive back and their system and the computer wont even reconize the drive anymore. HAs anyone had these types of problems?

are these pro tools problems or OS X problems. Os 9.22 is like 100 times faster than the HD3 systems how does that happen? This is supposed to be the newest and the best am i right?