Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM

Default To Firewire or Not to Firewire....

I'm very seriously considering selling my Mackie Onyx 32-4, which really isn't doing ANYTHING in my studio and using the proceeds to buy some new gear, among which would be a new interface. The one I'm really looking at hard is the Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40. My question has to do with the Firewire interfaces. What is gained by Firewire vs USB interface? I have a FW connection from my Yamaha Motif XS8, which works just fine and I can actually use the Motif as an interface when I want to record multiple audio outputs from the Motif to a PT session all at once, such as a song or something using the Performance Mode, which has 4 parts. And its also my main MIDI controller for PT and all my VIs and the FW works just great for all that. Is there some advantage to FW vs USB in using the Focusrite interface? I'm not clear about that. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 AM

Default Re: To Firewire or Not to Firewire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
What is gained by Firewire vs USB interface
As these interfaces are USB 2 not 3 itīs kinda more speed+a more consistent data streaming
at higher track counts (FW) vs more versatility+less costs (USB).

If you would be on Mac I think FW would be the better choice, particularly if you intend to record
lots of tracks simultaneously at low buffer sizes.
As FW is disappearing more and more from the market you would be on the safe side as to future
systems because of the option to use it on the Thunderbolt port via the TB-to-FW-adapter.

As you are on PC itīs more difficult but on the other hand I have recently read about Thunderbolt
coming to PCs soon?

A USB interface will be more affordable probably and you will be able to use it with every system
out there as every computer worldwide offers a USB 2 port.

In your particular case (what you were telling about your Motif etc.) IMO a FW interface would make
more sense finally. As mentioned before probably it will offer the more stable, more reliable solution
particularly with high track counts under normal circumstances.

Finally a short heads up as to a not completely new but widely used Hybrid interface which offers both
FW+USB 2 in one unit. As far as I have seen there are a also lot of positive reviews about this device.
If you would want to have both options you may check out this one.
Motu 828mk3 (not the 828x which is Thunderbolt)
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x#firewire
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/828mk3Hy

Itīs more expensive than the Saffire Pro 40 but you would have FW as well as USB 2.
If you would use the TB-to-FW-adapter you even would have 3 different options to connect it to a system.

On the other hand the Saffire Pro 40 is used by a lot of PT11 users here successfully, so this units seem to
work pretty well with Pro Tools which is a very good reason to buy it.

Anyway.
The best of success to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:48 AM

As I understand it, FW interfaces allow for a minimum buffer of 64(on a PC) and USB only goes down to 128, so that may be one consideration. As nice as the Pro40 is, I would seriously look into spending a bit more for the LS56. It gives you double the lightpipe IO(for 8 more possible ins and outs as compared to the Pro40) and the 2 "Liquid" preamps might turn out to be a worthwhile asset. Seen them as "B stock" for $650-750.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Sorry, I overlooked the fact that the Motu 828mk3 only has 2 mic pres,
so it would not be comparable with the Saffire Pro 40.

If you still would be interested in such a "Hybrid" audio interface which
offers both FW as well as USB, actually the larger model 896mk3 would
be the right one. Itīs got 8 mic pres like the Pro 40.
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/896mk3
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/896mk3Hy

Anyway just wanted to show you this option.

Probably the Pro 40 or the LS56 will be the best solution anyway.

Cheers.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM

Albee and VRW - Thanks for the replies. Albee: I looked at the Liquid Saffire. The thing is, I don't need THAT much. I'm not an actual recording studio, bringing in outside talent and needing multiple mics, etc. Even the Pro 40 is probably a bit more than I'd ever need for inputs and mic pres. Mostly, I have line inputs for a few hardware synths, and I'd like to be able to do some additional audio recording as I do some sessions with a vocalist.

So, the SP40 seems more apropos to my set up.

VRW: Thanks for answering the questions on the FW. It makes more sense now. I do wish they'd take advantage of USB3 with these interfaces.

Donald M

Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 AM

FWIW, I looked at a number of interfaces recently to replace my aging Project Mix I/O and was a little cautious about the low latency claims, but picked up a Zen-Studio from Antelope Audio. It's USB2, however they developed a custom USB chip, that allows me to track at a buffer setting of 32 (64 on a PC), depending on what else is running in Pro Tools, plugs, etc...

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/js/tiny...Zen_Studio.pdf
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
The thing is, I don't need THAT much. I'm not an actual recording studio, bringing in outside talent and needing multiple mics, etc. Even the Pro 40 is probably a bit more than I'd ever need for inputs and mic pres. Mostly, I have line inputs for a few hardware synths, and I'd like to be able to do some additional audio recording as I do some sessions with a vocalist.
If you donīt need so many preamps you may have a look at the Saffire Pro 26 too.
This one was the latest release by Focusrite and offers everything a 002/003R once did.

4 mic pres, 8 Line Ins, 8 ADAT Ins, SPDIF In/Out, Midi In/Out, Firewire connected like the Pro 40.

I think this is one great little unit which is a true 002/003 replacement and kinda underrated IMO
as most of the people go for smaller Saffires or the larger Pro 40.
Anyway the Pro 26 is the most recent model of all Saffires and offers a lot for only $299.-!
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffPro26

http://us.focusrite.com/firewire-aud...saffire-pro-26

This unit would be even small enough for (additional) mobile recording however being identical to
the Pro 40 as to the audio quality.

Just as a suggestion.

Cheers, VRW

Quote:
I do wish they'd take advantage of USB3 with these interfaces.
+1

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
As these interfaces are USB 2 not 3 itīs kinda more speed+a more consistent data streaming
at higher track counts (FW) vs more versatility+less costs (USB).

If you would be on Mac I think FW would be the better choice, particularly if you intend to record
lots of tracks simultaneously at low buffer sizes.
As FW is disappearing more and more from the market you would be on the safe side as to future
systems because of the option to use it on the Thunderbolt port via the TB-to-FW-adapter.

As you are on PC itīs more difficult but on the other hand I have recently read about Thunderbolt
coming to PCs soon?

A USB interface will be more affordable probably and you will be able to use it with every system
out there as every computer worldwide offers a USB 2 port.

In your particular case (what you were telling about your Motif etc.) IMO a FW interface would make
more sense finally. As mentioned before probably it will offer the more stable, more reliable solution
particularly with high track counts under normal circumstances.

Finally a short heads up as to a not completely new but widely used Hybrid interface which offers both
FW+USB 2 in one unit. As far as I have seen there are a also lot of positive reviews about this device.
If you would want to have both options you may check out this one.
Motu 828mk3 (not the 828x which is Thunderbolt)
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x#firewire
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/828mk3Hy

Itīs more expensive than the Saffire Pro 40 but you would have FW as well as USB 2.
If you would use the TB-to-FW-adapter you even would have 3 different options to connect it to a system.

On the other hand the Saffire Pro 40 is used by a lot of PT11 users here successfully, so this units seem to
work pretty well with Pro Tools which is a very good reason to buy it.

Anyway.
The best of success to you,

VRW

A USB interface will be more affordable probably and you will be able to use it with every system out there as every computer worldwide offers a USB 2 port.

Actually, that is no longer the case...some folks have posted here on the DUC (and in other forums) about problems with iLoks and other dongles as their newer computers only have USB3 ports.

Theoretically USB3 ports are backward compatible with USB2 devices, but there have been quite a few reports "from the wild" this is not the case...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
[B]Actually, that is no longer the case...some folks have posted here on the DUC (and in other forums) about problems with iLoks and other dongles as their newer computers only have USB3 ports.

Theoretically USB3 ports are backward compatible with USB2 devices, but there have been quite a few reports "from the wild" this is not the case...
Good point actually.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Albee and VRW - Thanks for the replies. Albee: I looked at the Liquid Saffire. The thing is, I don't need THAT much. I'm not an actual recording studio, bringing in outside talent and needing multiple mics, etc. Even the Pro 40 is probably a bit more than I'd ever need for inputs and mic pres. Mostly, I have line inputs for a few hardware synths, and I'd like to be able to do some additional audio recording as I do some sessions with a vocalist.

So, the SP40 seems more apropos to my set up.

VRW: Thanks for answering the questions on the FW. It makes more sense now. I do wish they'd take advantage of USB3 with these interfaces.

Donald M
Look again at the Pro40 - the actual analog inputs aren't that many - there's only eight (2 on the front panel and 6 on the back). The rest of the inputs are digital so unless your hardware synths have digital outs then you only have the 8 analogs. Remember that most hardware synths have stereo outs so there goes 2 at a time. For instance I have 4 h/w synths here (Motif 7, Moog Voyager rack mount, DSI PloyEvolver, Yamaha DTXM12 drum module) so in my case I would need at least 8 analog ins.

As to FW - most interfaces like to see a TI chip in the computer.

QAPLA!