Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Revisiting SAN's

It's has been a long time since any one in the best of my knowledge has talked about using protools with anything but directly attached drives.
Has any one done anything with SAN's or other non directly attached drives?
?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM

Post Re: Revisiting SAN's

If you have Pro Tools|HD v10 or later, there is a function called Disk Cache that effectively allows you to use a SAN volume for audio record and playback. I haven't personally tested it with a SAN.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Revisiting SAN's

I just set up a 16TB NAS. I mostly plan to use it for backup/cloud/hosting but I have colleagues that say you can work directly from it which would be cool.

Testing that part soon.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 AM

I would be very interested in the results. Thank you

Last edited by danger; 01-23-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger View Post
I would be very interested in the results. Thank you
Worked perfectly in my first test.

I copied a session from a local audio drive to a shared folder on the NAS. I then unmounted the local drive and launched the session from the share. I immediately hit play so that it HAD to play over ethernet (while caching in the background) I proceeded to mix for a bit and it never once hiccuped.

This is with a hard wired ethernet connection BTW. No way to test wireless right now.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:02 PM

I guess people interested in this topic would know (but I will throw this out anyway in case some don't) that it has been possible to use shared storage with Pro Tools for a long time. At our facility we have been using an iSCSI solution for almost a decade, sharing a RAID box among three ProTools workstations. We record directly to it, and play back directly from it as our primary storage.

Having said that, the system is old and somewhat complex and has limitations like one write user per logical volume at a time. Seems like advances in storage and networking in the last 10 years should bring us closer but nobody seems to be doing anything besides locally attached drives or high end RAID stuff yet either.

So I'm interested in hearing success (or failure) stories too.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM

We're running two nMP PtHD11. Pegasus2 Tb as DAS on one machine, sharing the drive over ethernet.
Works fine, except sample loading times in Spectrasonics VI:s.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Thats a ThunderBolt Raid. Was more interested in Iscsi or NAS
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM

Prior to PT 9 or PT 10 (I've forgotten which), Avid loosed some of their storage requirements.

Prior to that time, Pro Tools used "direct disk access", which is why people who recorded to their system drive often ended up with a "scrambled" disk.

Direct disk access is a very old technique that was use to improve performance of then-slow hard drives by allowing the application to directly access the disk, instead of going through the operating system.

It's a bit complicated and I don't have time to more fully explain it now, but Google should show you something on the topic...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Post Re: Revisiting SAN's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Prior to PT 9 or PT 10 (I've forgotten which), Avid loosed some of their storage requirements.
It was Pro Tools|HD 10 with the introduction of Disk Cache.

People have been able to use unsupported setups from Studio Network Solutions and others for years.