Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Default Disable desktop composition in PT 11

Anybody know how to do this? Here's PT 10 (left) vs. PT 11 (right): https://copy.com/hMh11cYmkVKSp1lD

I like the non-transparent PT 10, which was switched by clicking "disable all desktop composition".

In PT 11, this is selected by default, but it doesn't do anything!!

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Disable desktop composition in PT 11

I think what you are seeing is AERO, and not the effects of desktop composition. Right-click on the PT11 icon and select Properties, then the compatibility tab(I think). Check the boxes for "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Always Run as Admin" and see if it changes anything.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I think what you are seeing is AERO, and not the effects of desktop composition. Right-click on the PT11 icon and select Properties, then the compatibility tab(I think). Check the boxes for "Disable Desktop Composition" and "Always Run as Admin" and see if it changes anything.
I'm not sure if you have PT 11 or read my post, but like I was saying, those are selected by default in PT 11, yet don't do a thing...
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM

So is AERO turned off on the computer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2014, 08:51 PM

No. ProTools is supposed to turn it off by selecting "disable desktop composition", which works swell in PT 10, but not in PT 11, thus the question. Do you have PT 11? Does it work for you?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Disable Desktop Composition

This troubleshooting step will disable Windows Aero and force the computer to run the Windows Basic theme while Pro Tools is running, reducing complex graphic processing during Pro Tools operation. This can help resolve pops and clicks during playback and record, as well as optimize the system further for use with Pro Tools. This is generally only necessary with older graphics cards that do not support the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).
Unless you're having issues directly associated with Aero, then you don't need to disable it. If it's an aesthetic choice, I recommend using the Windows 7 Basic theme, which is the theme used when disabling desktop composition:

Control Panel > Allcontrol Panel Items > Personalization > Windows 7 Basic

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 PM

Uggghhhh... That's NOT what I want. Of course it's an aesthetic choice. I want it OFF in PT and ON otherwise. I can only repeat this for the third time: it works perfect in PT10, it does not work in PT11.

Anybody have some useful answers?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinghits View Post
Uggghhhh... That's NOT what I want. Of course it's an aesthetic choice. I want it OFF in PT and ON otherwise. I can only repeat this for the third time: it works perfect in PT10, it does not work in PT11.

Anybody have some useful answers?
I've confirmed this as a bug. I'll make it known to the proper channels on my end. I recommend you also post the issue here so we can get it noticed. The closest workaround solution is to change the overall theme to Windows 7 Basic. An AutoHotKey script might also be possible as a temporary solution, which I'll look into on my end. Good job spotting this one by the way!

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I've confirmed this as a bug. I'll make it known to the proper channels on my end. I recommend you also post the issue here so we can get it noticed. The closest workaround solution is to change the overall theme to Windows 7 Basic. An AutoHotKey script might also be possible as a temporary solution, which I'll look into on my end. Good job spotting this one by the way!

Shane
Thank you Shane, I appreciate you looking into this and confirming it's indeed a bug. I posted it on IdeaScale, although I'm shocked to see that most suggestions/reports there are 3-4 years old and nobody seems to be in a hurry for anything at Avid.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinghits View Post
Thank you Shane, I appreciate you looking into this and confirming it's indeed a bug. I posted it on IdeaScale, although I'm shocked to see that most suggestions/reports there are 3-4 years old and nobody seems to be in a hurry for anything at Avid.
Reported on my end also. I'm sure they have a system of prioritization. Let's hope it's a quick easy fix for them that we'll see soon.

Shane