Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts350z View Post
I searched duc for all the disk cache error posts. The only fix I found (actually stopped looking after finding this) was running the installer as admin.

I tried that with no joy, after uninstalling and reboot.

Today I installed the release version of windows 8 (using windows 8 upgrade tool), which I assume set me back to "zero" as no programs came across with the upgrade (only personal files). Tried again to install Pro Tools as admin but I'm still stuck at the disk cache error during startup.

Yes I know there's posts saying that installing protools 9 and then uinstalling works but I don't have access to PT 9 installer anymore.
Don't know what to tell ya. I'm running W8 Pro and PT9 just fine here. I did an in place upgrade from 7 Ultimate to 8 Pro, only had to re-install a couple programs. Pro Tools ran just fine without needing to be reinstalled.

Its strange that PT9 runs pretty well on W8, but PT10 doesn't.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Don't know what to tell ya. I'm running W8 Pro and PT9 just fine here. I did an in place upgrade from 7 Ultimate to 8 Pro, only had to re-install a couple programs. Pro Tools ran just fine without needing to be reinstalled.

Its strange that PT9 runs pretty well on W8, but PT10 doesn't.
Pro Tools 10.3.2 is running fine on Windows 8 Pro Here.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Avid have not Qualified Windows 8 for Pro Tools.
There's something fundamentally wrong with that quote... Shouldn't it read 'Avid have not updated Pro Tools for Windows 8'? I hate the mentality that systems should adjust to Pro Tools.

Anyway, if you plan on getting Windows 8 as soon as it releases, you're asking for trouble. Wait until at least the first service pack comes out, or give it a few months for the initial bugs to be squashed. To be honest, I'd rather keep my PC a PC, rather than a glorified tablet, so I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time yet.

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamsh View Post
There's something fundamentally wrong with that quote... Shouldn't it read 'Avid have not updated Pro Tools for Windows 8'? I hate the mentality that systems should adjust to Pro Tools.
This.

Quote:
To be honest, I'd rather keep my PC a PC, rather than a glorified tablet, so I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time yet.
This not so much... Windows 8 is an improvement on W7 for desktops imo. After 1 week or so you want to go back. Loving the release preview (except PT10 doesn't work!!!!!! ¬_¬)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
... I hate the mentality that systems should adjust to Pro Tools...
Pro Tools is not a consumer application.

"Qualified" means that one can safely install a particular combination of hardware, OS and Pro Tools version into the most demanding professional post production and music recording environments. The folks who bill $500+ an hour simply can't afford running across obscure bugs.

Avid has an extensive qualification process that everything must pass before a given combination is considered officially "qualified." Obviously even with all this some problems slip through so many facilities hang a year behind in both OS and Pro Tools versions. They and Avid can't afford being on the bleeding edge.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Pro Tools 10.3.2 is running fine on Windows 8 Pro Here.
Cool man, is that with the HD|Native card?

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

I have Windows 8, Pro Tools 10.3.2, and I had the same problem with the "disk cache" error upon launch, even when running as an administrator. I can confirm that I solved the problem and am now able to run PT10 with no errors by re-installing Pro Tools 9 "on top" of an existing Pro Tools 10.3.2.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulloebmusic View Post
I have Windows 8, Pro Tools 10.3.2, and I had the same problem with the "disk cache" error upon launch, even when running as an administrator. I can confirm that I solved the problem and am now able to run PT10 with no errors by re-installing Pro Tools 9 "on top" of an existing Pro Tools 10.3.2.
Now sombody needs to figure out what PT9 puts on the system to make 10 run
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Cool man, is that with the HD|Native card?
Yep! The only thing, when you install Pro Tools 10.3.2 you have to install the HD driver separately. You can find it in the Pro Tools 10 Folder in Program Files(86). The only thing that is not working in Windows 8 is my Solid State Logic Plugins because there is a need for a codemeter update. So I'm wating on SSL for that. But my Waves, Uad, Native-Instruments (including Kontakt 5), Voxengo plugins work fine. The only thing you have to overcome in Win8 is the security setting on the harddrive files and folders. Set all your audio apps to Run with the Administrator Privileges .
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Yep! The only thing, when you install Pro Tools 10.3.2 you have to install the HD driver separately. You can find it in the Pro Tools 10 Folder in Program Files(86). The only thing that is not working in Windows 8 is my Solid State Logic Plugins because there is a need for a codemeter update. So I'm wating on SSL for that. But my Waves, Uad, Native-Instruments (including Kontakt 5), Voxengo plugins work fine. The only thing you have to overcome in Win8 is the security setting on the harddrive files and folders. Set all your audio apps to Run with the Administrator Privileges .
Cool, cool, good to know Native is working. And yes, disable UAC, set up PT to run as admin.

Tell me, when you updated, did you do an in place upgrade (Keep Everything) or did you do Keep Nothing? Or did you install from a disc. I installed from within the Windows Upgrade Adviser because thats the only way the license number I had would activate (bought the 7 to 8 upgrade online) without going in to the reg later and changing a 1 to a 0. I also chose to 'keep everything' because I was dreading having to type in all those plugin license codes, usually I would do a clean install, but since 8 is pretty similar to 7 I thought I would give an in place upgrade a try this time, and so far its working pretty good. A few problems, but those should be fixed by updated drivers.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio