Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM

Default 8.0.1 Workspace not showing all connected drives

I've been using 8.0.1 for a few days now & most things are working as usual (not a perfect release but nonetheless work can be done). Today when I booted up ProTools it kept crashing on start up while it was Initializing Databases.

So I used the 'ProTools Pref and Database Helper' to do a clean sweep of the preferences, database folders & volume files. This allowed me to boot Pro Tools normally, however now when I go to 'Workspace' I only see my system partition & my audio partition (separate drive). It's completely ignoring 2 other partitions on the same drives as the visible partitions, 1 other internal HDD & 2 partitions on an external FW400 HDD. So a total of 5 mounted functioning partitions are no longer visible in Workspace!

Now I've tried everything to get these to show up again in Workspace but to now avail. I've tried repairing permissions with DiskWarrior, rebuilding directories, trashing ProTools prefs & databases over & over including the one residing in the Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Databases>Unicode

It seems whenever I close & re-open the Workspace it brings up an error in the Task Manager window as detailed here... 'Assertion in "/Volumes/Develepment/vb_blues/AlturaPorts/NewFileLibs/FileFormat/MacBuild/../../BDM/BDM_workspace.cpp", line 1431 ()

The other weird thing is that although the drives aren't showing in Workspace I can still open a session from any of the unlisted drives & change the Disk Allocation to use any of the missing partitions as they all show up fine in the Disk Allocation drop down menu.

Anyone seen this or know of a way to fix it?

Cheers,

Matt

Intel Quad Core 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.5.7, PT HD 8.0.1, HD2 ACCEL, Digi 192 Digital I/O

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 09-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Default Re: 8.0.1 Workspace not showing all connected drives

Well absolutely no response... interesting.

The funny thing is today when I launched Pro Tools Workspace is again showing all my drives... weird.

Anyway for now it's working again...

Matt

Brisbane Australia
Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Hey, Matt -

The Workspace just suddenly started showin everything again randomnly?

After you had trashed pref's / databases, it still persisted, but then after a restart, all was well?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Hey, Matt -

The Workspace just suddenly started showin everything again randomnly?

After you had trashed pref's / databases, it still persisted, but then after a restart, all was well?
Yeah it seemed pretty random, I did try some restarts yesterday after trashing prefs & databases but nothing worked. I booted into Vista briefly last night & restarted into OSX before going to sleep. This morning I launch Pro Tools to start work & viola! all my drives have magically re-appeared in Workspace & no more error messages in task manager...

Bit random.. but there you go

Brisbane Australia
Old 08-11-2011, 01:26 AM

Actually I had that happen today.
I have a 2nd drive that I record onto, and also has a sample directory on it.
Another 3rd drive also has samples on it.

Suddenly (pro tools 9.03) Workspace wouldn't show the 'sample' directory on the 2nd drive. I read the manuals, discussion boards, nothing.

Finally I started a new song on the 2nd drive in a 'song' directory, that also wasn't showing up in Workspace, but suddenly now it showed. Now that I was 'saving' my song in that directory. So I thought, hmmm... I'll save the song in the 'sample' directory, and sure enough, suddenly the 'sample' directory showed up now in Workspace.

Now that is odd... or not? (programmers?) shrugs.
As long as I've found a workaround I'm good with it.

Chuck