Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Default Re: pro control issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjurgens View Post
Interesting news to report!

we spent the evening yesterday changing the molex on the power supply out to soldered connections and cleaning all the connectors with deoxit. I think we have the dimming LED problem solved, along with the issues with the buttons not working. Also, the faders on the first bank no longer jam to the top on a repower

Unfortunately this did not fix the "greavity effect" on the first fader pack.

We started playing around with the faders a bit, and pulled one out of the board. surprising the gravity effect only happens when the fader is angled as it sits in the console. If the fader is held level or angled away with the top down it works as it should with no "gravity effect"

I happened to have three spare faders that were given to me when I bought the board back in 2008 so we decided to try them out to see if there was any difference. The first and second behaved the same, but the third fader worked perfectly!

I'm not sure if these spare faders were new, used, good, bad or what. But one of them worked perfectly

So... Is it possible that this "gravity effect" is just a worn out/bad fader issue that could be fixed with some new faders?

all eight faders on my first bank are exhibiting the "gravity effect", but not all the same, it varies.... some are really bad, some are moderate, and one has just a tiny bit of return, and only at the top of its range.

Any chance there is a way to revive the faders that are exhibiting the "gravity effect"?

If not, is it possible to get seven good replacement faders to finish out replacing the faders on my first bank

If they are available, about how much do they cost?

thanks!

Warren
I'm happy to read you were able to solve a lot of the problems!

About the gravity effect, I have never witnessed this in real life, so I can't give you real life answers. The only thing I can do is to share some info about the faders.

But I do I think you answered the main question yourself: changing faders solves the problem, so the problem is probably just a worn out/bad fader issue.

It is possible to track down spare rubber bands, motors and encoders, as they all are standard components. But this implies you need to determine what part is to blame in the first place and to track down where to buy the components (but as a matter of fact somewhere in a previous thread this info is available)

Of course the easy way is just to replace the bad faders entirely. From time to time they are available on eBay, but they are not cheap. As you need at least 7 of them my best advice is also to buy one or more spare fader packs and/or main units for spare parts, it might be cheaper. For example: I have a 48 channel ProControl and I have one main unit and one fader pack for spare parts. I bought them at least five years ago, just to be on the safe side. So I paid good money for it (at least 1.000 USD per unit + shipping from the USA to Europe), maybe you might get lucky and find some cheaper ones today.

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins